in theory

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BIGMAN

ok just for peace of mind this project is starting to give me a real headache so ive booked it in at the local honda dealer for them to charge me the earth to probably tell me what i already know.(maybe)

this is what ive done start to finish

1.95 civic coupe (OBD1)
2.dropped in 99 b18c out of a JDM integra type r (OBD2)complete with engine harness
3.swapped the axles, shift linkages, engine mounts etc....
4.added the wire for the knock sensor(D3) and vtec solenoid(A4).
(didnt add a wire for the oil pressure sensor as it is a JDM ITR motor and was told this wasnt need)
5.connected the plugs together on the shock tower
6.connected a OBD1-OBD2 conversion harness to my cars stock harness and plugged in the P73 ecu that came with the motor.
7.(this is the theory part) turn the key engine should start

the only reason i ask is i want to be a 100% ive done everything correctly as the car wont start and the electrian who looked at it to day thought the problem was the ecu but wasnt completley sure as it was a hybrid and it could be a thousand other imaginary wiring problems. hence the reason ive got to take it to the dealer because i dont want to buy another ecu if i dont have to. if i have to fine but ive had so many peopl look at my car and go er er er im not sure, your the only guys who any idea :worthy:

im pretty sure your problem is the ECU
ITRs have the shit that most new cars do now where they use a chip coded key and will not start without them
you have a few options
1 - get an ECU that doesnt look for the chip coded key
2 - do what people do when they put a remote car starter in a car that needs one of those keys... get a key made up that will work with the ECU then hardwire it into the car (most people use an uncut key or break the end off for security reasons) this way when the ECU looks for the coded key it finds it and thinks all is well

as far as getting a key programmed into the ECU im not sure how they do it on acuras... try talking to someone at an acura dealership

try another ECU first (if you have any friends with an OBD-1 VTEC ECU it will work to at least get it started)

Originally posted by SpodaB1@Apr 16 2004, 01:42 PM
MAybe try a 98 USDM ITR ECU.

those i know for sure DEFINATLY need the coded keys

cars going in today what ecu do you reckomend i get that will run the motor without this problem can i get a hondata

is the motor even cracking over? if you find out that it's not the ecu, try to check out the part that a lot of people over look when a car doesn't start, the ignition itself. the part that goes behind the lock cylinder and key. people will say why would that go out? well, quite honestly, it just does. it's already happened to my friend's 99 GSR and your car is 4 years older. this has also, just happened on my cousin's 95 ex. hope this helps

Originally posted by BIGMAN@Apr 17 2004, 03:06 AM
cars going in today what ecu do you reckomend i get that will run the motor without this problem can i get a hondata

OBD-1 P30
OBD-1 P28 (chipped)

either one will need something to tune it

id say just get the P28 and hondata

plug in your stock computer. even if its a non vtec d-seires ecu, it will STILL turn the motor over if its wired correctly.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 17 2004, 11:29 AM
plug in your stock computer. even if its a non vtec d-seires ecu, it will STILL turn the motor over if its wired correctly.

wasnt sure if just any ECU would work
thanks for clearing that up :)

the motors cranking over and theres power to the distributer, apparentley its not getting the switching signal from the ecu to make it spark or activate the injectors.

i tried the orignal ecu from the old motor (P06) and had no luck???? have i done something wrong????

Back