!@*$ing Jeep

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Haha. i wish this thread would have happened sooner. I just bought a Cherokee this week. whatever. it's fuckin nice, and my mom bought it for me, so it cost me nothing. I would have much rather had a Toyota or Z71, but i couldn't find shit in the area i was looking, and i had to get something last weekend. Well mine's a 2001, the last year they made 'em, with the 4.0 and yea 4x4. it's not gonna see much hardcore mudding and stuff, just desert and sand dunes.

i was reading somewhere that most of the chrysler trannies in 'em were junk, and that in hte 2001 model year, Jeep used trannies from whoever makes Toyotas trannies. i was hoping Celerity could give a little more info on it.

well since i have only had it a few days, and have only went offroad once, i can't really contribute to its capabilities, but yea it eats gas. personally, for only being a 190 hp motor, it seems to do alright. It's probably gonna stay mostly stock, other than wheels and tires for right now. I actually got a set of brand new tires on my truck that i wanna put on, but i don't know if they'll fit. the tires are 31x10.5x15 and the stock wheels are 15x7, so i think they are too narrow. anyone know?

Cherokees corner on the road like no other truck-based SUV. But what you'll realise is that it's a jacked-up Volvo.

As far as transmission maker, Toyota has always made their own trannies. More specifically: I don't know toyota post 1991.

The newer interiors are higher quality - But surprisingly lack room. But you already must know this.

There is no problem at all with Jeeps as a design. Some people are looking for what they offer. The problem is that:
1) They are needlessly expensive. they are more common than herpes yet the owners command these outrageous prices.
2) They aren't as off-road capable as you may think. Yes, they are decent, and they aren't even playing with shit like Explorers and other Poseur SUVs - But there are other vehicles out there are superior to them.
3) It's a status symbol, and most never go off road anyway. Offroad truck - offroad + powerful motor = sloppy little pigs on the pavement.

-> Steve

Also, my truck looked silly with 31" tires because they were too small for the appearance. You can't fit 31"s on a YJ.

Quoted post[/post]]
There is no problem at all with Jeeps as a design. Some people are looking for what they offer. The problem is that:
1) They are needlessly expensive. they are more common than herpes yet the owners command these outrageous prices.
2) They aren't as off-road capable as you may think. Yes, they are decent, and they aren't even playing with shit like Explorers and other Poseur SUVs - But there are other vehicles out there are superior to them.
3) It's a status symbol, and most never go off road anyway. Offroad truck - offroad + powerful motor = sloppy little pigs on the pavement.

-> Steve

Also, my truck looked silly with 31" tires because they were too small for the appearance. You can't fit 31"s on a YJ.
they are expensive.

they are off-road capable if the driver is as well. will it handle what a truck with a lift kit and mudders will? not at all. but most offroading is approach and thinking about things before you slam the gas. a great example is the old willys. small, underpowered, but with the proper driver they can go just about anywhere.

all my friends with jeeps off-road or at least use the off-roading ability of the jeep on the street, but i do get your point. most people dont let their jeeps see anything but pavement. and they are sloppy on the pavement, even more so as you make them more off-road capable. i would never have one as a daily but i would have one as a weekend warrior with a lift kit and a chevy small block.

Not worthless - but definitely not worth the small fortune and ritual blood sacrifice most jeep enthusiasts try to sell their vehicles for.

I wish I had 3500 bucks back in May or I probably would have bought that Trekker I found on the Trader.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
as a weekend warrior with a lift kit and a chevy small block.

My point exactly:

Upgrade the suspension
Change the motor
Weekends only.

Worthless.
Think about what you just posted on hondaswap. what do we do to any civic on this site?

is it exactly the same, no. but any stock civic sucks at racing more than any stock jeep sucks at off-roading.

The Civic does it's job fantastically well. It's an economical people mover. And every Civic ever made has lived up to that fabulously.

We have changed the nature of them into firebreathing F1 cars with 4 seats.

Vive la difference.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
as a weekend warrior with a lift kit and a chevy small block.

My point exactly:

Upgrade the suspension
Change the motor
Weekends only.

Worthless.
Think about what you just posted on hondaswap. what do we do to any civic on this site?

is it exactly the same, no. but any stock civic sucks at racing more than any stock jeep sucks at off-roading.

apples and oranges?

The CJ was a purpose built vehicle with only on purpose in mind.... go where nothing else could.

Thats it.

up till sometime in the 70s nothing kept up from the factory as far as a CJ could

CJ2A, CJ3B, and CJ5 are the only real jeeps

any jeep with an automatic trans, different motor/axles/springs, AC, or comfy seats are not jeeps, they are a waste of metal

real jeeps dont have seat belts

they come with the stock motor with a 3 or 4 speed and 31 inch tires

Quoted post[/post]]
The CJ was a purpose built vehicle with only on purpose in mind.... go where nothing else could.

Thats it.

up till sometime in the 70s nothing kept up from the factory as far as a CJ could

CJ2A, CJ3B, and CJ5 are the only real jeeps

any jeep with an automatic trans, different motor/axles/springs, AC, or comfy seats are not jeeps, they are a waste of metal

real jeeps dont have seat belts

they come with the stock motor with a 3 or 4 speed and 31 inch tires
i to love any CJ.

and im with you on the auto trans, AC, and comfy seats. all the other stuff would just be upgrades though. and no seat belts? how do you go offroading without anything keeping you in the jeep?

Back