Insurance ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sloazcrx

Is there a way to insure my car so that if I were to wreck it that I would get reimbursed for modifications....

On some things like wheels and some other stuff you could, but you would have to talk with them in person, show them receipts and pictures.

I work for an insurance company here in california. The max ANY insurance company would cover for aftermarket parts is $1000. You could get extra insurance on your stereo but the premium would go up a little bit. Paint is not considered aftermarket.

Thats just the insurance companies here, every state has different laws and regulations for insruance. :D

Free auto quotes for california residents only! PM me.

right now i'm insured for 7000, where as if it was stock it would be worth about 3000-4000...

From what I'm being told, in NC insurance doesn't cover modifications....The best I can do is keep receipts and take pics to show an adjuster and hope he got some last night and is in a giving mood. This is from an Allstate rep. I'd just like to be covered enough so that if something happens to my car I'm not totally screwed...

QUOTE (sloazcrx @ Jan 5 2004, 02:53 PM)
Allstate

Thats the company I work for.

I'm sorry.

:werd:

ALL insurance companies will cover your mods for an additional premium. However, SOME may consider you an increased risk and either really up your premium or cancel your policy altogether.

For example, if you're under 25 and were to call me and say you just dropped an H22 in a VX hatch that was boosted (extreme example) I'd probably recommend you be canceled. For that matter, I'm not sure I'd want my insurance company to know I significantly increased the stock HP:weight in any way. That's done ONLY to go fast and as an insurer of risks against damage caused by auto accidents, that's a risk I'd pass on to someone else.

However, If you call to cover your body kits/wheels/stereo/paint/etc. that shouldn't be a problem. If it is, find another carrier.

Originally posted by ahedau@Jan 5 2004, 07:38 PM
QUOTE (sloazcrx @ Jan 5 2004, 02:53 PM)
Allstate

Thats the company I work for. 

I'm sorry.

:werd:

ALL insurance companies will cover your mods for an additional premium. However, SOME may consider you an increased risk and either really up your premium or cancel your policy altogether.

For example, if you're under 25 and were to call me and say you just dropped an H22 in a VX hatch that was boosted (extreme example) I'd probably recommend you be canceled. For that matter, I'm not sure I'd want my insurance company to know I significantly increased the stock HP:weight in any way. That's done ONLY to go fast and as an insurer of risks against damage caused by auto accidents, that's a risk I'd pass on to someone else.

However, If you call to cover your body kits/wheels/stereo/paint/etc. that shouldn't be a problem. If it is, find another carrier.

H22 in a VX? An insurance company wouldnt even know what that is. They would NOT and could NOT cancel you because of that. They would just simply let you know that it was only covered up to $1000. Here in califorina their is NO insurance company that would cover aftermarket mods more than $1000. Even for stereo mods, it has to be in a "factory hole"

Trust me bro. I am working here right now! I tell people this stuff for a living!

you can get the car appraised like it was a custom and have it insured for that amount. or you can get your aftermarket items "endorsed". both will raise your premiums, but they will be covered. talk to your insurance company for details, they're all slightly different.

Originally posted by B16@Jan 6 2004, 09:46 AM
you can get the car appraised like it was a custom and have it insured for that amount. or you can get your aftermarket items "endorsed". both will raise your premiums, but they will be covered. talk to your insurance company for details, they're all slightly different.

Sorry bro, you cant have your car appraised to be covered at a certain amount. The way they determine how much to give you (if your car is totaled) it is what condition it was in at the time of the loss. Unless your car is re-stored then you would have to get what allstate calls "classic car insurance" and thats another ball game. B)

Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous+Jan 6 2004, 10:03 AM-->
@Jan 6 2004, 09:46 AM
you can get the car appraised like it was a custom and have it insured for that amount.  or you can get your aftermarket items "endorsed".  both will raise your premiums, but they will be covered.  talk to your insurance company for details, they're all slightly different.

Sorry bro, you cant have your car appraised to be covered at a certain amount. The way they determine how much to give you (if your car is totaled) it is what condition it was in at the time of the loss. Unless your car is re-stored then you would have to get what allstate calls "classic car insurance" and thats another ball game. B)

well, that is what was told to me by the insurance adjuster. you work for allstate, like i said, different companies have different rules.

To answer your question you would be better off asking your own ins. agent personally to see what they say! :blink:

I have asked and I knew there were people on HS that work for insurance companies. I thought I would ask to try and gain some kind of knowledge on the subject and not go into it blindly!!! Thanks for your help.

Allstate= full coverage on 1989 240sx=$370/6 months....

I'm going with them!

Sorry in advance for the length but I can't stand it when people give insurance information that is WRONG. You guys would (have actually) call me out if I give erroneous swap advice, I can't let this go...

Here in California their is NO insurance company that would cover aftermarket mods more than $1000

reason 987876356456 to hate CA

the $1000 isn't a state or federal statute. It's a policy language exclusion. So, depending on your carrier's policy provisions, your limit of covered mods without an endorsement could be higher or lower.

H22 in a VX? An insurance company wouldnt even know what that is. They would NOT and could NOT cancel you because of that

This isn't a pissing contest but I've been an agent and now a liability claims adjuster for one of the largest companies in the US for over 10 yrs. I stated that as an agent, I would recommend you be canceled. I can cancel you for cause or non-renew your policy depending on the state for any number of reasons. An insured that puts public safety at an unacceptable risk (i.e. street racing) is considered a valid reason for non-renewal in many states. If you were to tell your carrier you put a high hp motor in any car, domestic/import...whatever, you have the potential to be non-renewed or canceled for cause depending on your state. I DO have the right in EVERY state to deny you all but the state required financial responsibility coverage. Such as BI/PD/PIP (no fault)/UM/UMPD. PIP & UM/UMPD being state specific.

You come to me asking for increased coverage for your rice burner and I, after an inspection, advise you you cannot have comp or collision. You will likely leave me for another target, I mean, carrier. I've accomplished what I wanted, legally.

Sorry bro, you cant have your car appraised to be covered at a certain amount.

Dude, please don't dispense advice when you don't know what you're talking about. You most certainly CAN get this type of coverage. Its called "stated amount" or "stated value" coverage and Progressive sells ALOT of it. State Farm does a good bit too if you're a preferred customer. There are restrictions on use and how to acquire the value of the vehicle but the coverage IS available.

I'm going with [allskate]!

You pray you never have a claim & I'll pray you don't hit me if you do!

Originally posted by B16@Jan 6 2004, 12:46 PM

I missed this the first time through.....

Great job B16!!

succinct, to the point & exactly right!!!

I have much to learn about brevity :(

ahedau, whatever dude, you can say what you want but when you put thousands into your car and it gets stolen, dont come crying to me because your shit isnt covered. Bro, I do this for a living, I am doing this from my work computer RIGHT NOW! People call all the time and ask this same question. I answer it all day, but thats OK because you have been doing it for 10 years.

:asshat:

Back