Intake Experiment

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

editing? lol or re-writing...

seriously im taking onboard everything your saying to me, however besides negaitivity and speculation you have failed to give me any hard facts or even any "intake experiment failure" websites... im gladly interested in these... in the mean time we'll see

what "laws of physics" are you referring to? the air in the intake tube travels at a higher velocity than the fan can push. therefor is will only restrict airflow. try all you want but its not going to work.

Look up the term CFM. (Cubic Feet per Minute). Its a measure of how much air is flowing through something. In this case, it would be your intake. Just as a rough example, your car is going to be sucking up 400cfm, and that fan is going to push about 10cfm. so putting it into the intake of your vehicle is only going to hinder flow. Now, if you could find a fan that could push say, 600cfm (think Leaf blower fan) then yes, putting that into your intake would help the flow of air and cause a HP/Torque increase. But it will be minimal.

To get good power, you want to pressurize the air flowing into the intake. Which is where turbos and superchargers come in. They not only will flow (again a rough example) 600cfm, but they will build up pressure in the intake, which packs each cylinder with that much more air on the intake stroke, allowing more fuel to be burned. This is where power comes from.

A few links you should read up on, just for the sake of your own research:
Turbocharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Supercharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Howstuffworks "How Turbochargers Work"
Howstuffworks "How Superchargers Work"

I applaud your willingness to try things. If noone ever reinvented the wheel, we'd be rolling around on stone wheels. But, there is alot to be learned from what has already been done.

omg a gas powered leaf blower stuck at full throttle and strapped to the throttle body. i say try this... and take lots of pictures. Of course you'd have to pop the hood and pull the cord every time you start your car but ... actually screw pics I want video's.

WAIT A SEC... thats already been done and proven to make 10 - 25 hp.
Video - Leaf Blower Bolt on Dyno pull

now the trick is to market and package it and throw it on ebay.

ohohoh, you cna use the blower motor out of your airconditioner. then youll have a switch inside to turn it on and off!:D

lol, it blows real hard.

Damn it, i knew i should have stayed awake instead of sleeping :p
thanks for the links, ill read them later. ive got no problem with being wrong whatsoever, ill tell u the outcome, and who said a leaf blower lol

A/C blower doesnt push enough air to create power. Twin leaf blowers running in tandem.. and intercooled.. I'd bet you could probably get 5psi out of that.

In tandem meaning the exhaust of one leaf blower is sealed to the intake of the second blower.. then the second blower runs to the throttle body.

i've thought about this too.

What about attaching a 2 stroke engine to the compressor section of a turbo or centrifugal supercharger? then running a secondary throttle to that engine so you could set the boost according to the rpm of the engine.

Lol, no idea but it might clean my garden quick smart. Lol

sounds like tool-time lol
this experiment is now bordering on hilarious, i may as well build a go-kart and experiment lol

fuck your annoying, you class someone as a noob because why?
A. you dont know me, thus you dont know my background or credentials
B. because hmm, your a physicist
C. because every single peice of mechanics ever said "wont work" hasnt ever been disputed and proven otherwise...
D. omg i dont have rep points, laughable
E. GM told the populations that Honda's idea of any power from a Vtec engine created with the efficiency and lack of fuel as laughable as well
F. just because You cant do it, or someone else cant do it, doesnt mean it cant be done, you still have Not shown me any actual articles that are peer reviewed or anything to dispute the idea

fact, an intake containing a fan will cause a loss of air flow.. HOWEVER a fan that is in motion does not cause a lack of airflow and rather causes a draft. I cant stand idiots who cant get past their engine and realise that engines in cars arent magical items with special properties...

How does an intake work dimwit?

An intake provides a channel for air flow to move upwards towards the engine, this airflow speed is increased during acceleration, HOWEVER a FAN acting as an Extractor fan Creates a draft, SIMILAR to a pump on a pool which causes a domino affect. WHat you think i'd stick a leaf blower somewhere? or a pedestal fan in my engine bay. THe Only reason why the intake isnt situated in front of the engines existing fan is Air temperature. A multitude of other equipment used in a number of industries use similar systems for effeciency.

I dont know about you but my background is oil and we use pumps and suction every day.

thats like saying the land speed record cant be broken, Fuck if everything ever said "cant be done" was never done we'd be riding horses still. Just because you dont think it can be done, doesnt mean it cant be, it means it Hasnt be achieved with the level of technology available... i mean Fuck they still think Cold fusion is realistic... and they reckon an electric car cant drive fast, where the fastest Electric car clocked hmm about 160mph down the 1/4 mile (cant turn for shit though LOL)

still you'll need to find a fan the flows enough cubic feet of air per minute (as mentioned above) to prevent drag being created from the engine pulling air past the fan.

to see if what you're doing is effective. take measurements of the air pressure at the throttle bottle or at any point in the vacuum lines. then measure once you've made the changes you planned. I really doubt a fan as small as a computer fan would be able push enough air to make up for the amount of air that the veins of the fan block.

think of it this way.
a 100 mph gust of wind blows through an open doorway compared to
a 100mph gust of wind blowing through a doorway with a screen door closed in front of it. There still is a significant amount of surface area and some wind is going to be blocked even though it is a fine wire mesh.

the fan is designed to grab air and move it so inherently it will block any air that exceeds it's maximum flow capacity.

Last edited:
You will never find a peer review on the effects of shoving a computer fan in your Honda intake.
See; Fluid Dynamics. I bet Wikki has a page on it I'm just too lazy to link it.

But even better than a peer review, take your idea and test it. Take a fan and stick it in to a tube then take that tube to a flow bench. Then take out the fan and flow bench that. Then take the second number and subtract that from the first number and that is how much air loss you will have by plugging up the intake with a fan.

I'm not calling you an idiot for wanting to try something new, just the laws of fluid dynamics says you might as well shove a sock in your intake unless you can find a small enough fan that will push 700+ constant cfms. Perhaps if you cut a hole in the bottom of your filter then you would be adding air and because you wouldn't be blocking the tube, but still because you are pushing no amount of air (probably 60 to 80 cfm) its not going to do much of anything. because you will have no added pressure.

With out inventive minds we would never have the cool things in life like the Clapper or the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer. Yet there are rules of physics say this idea wont work, I don't know prove us wrong get flow bench numbers, most good machine shops will have one.

just remembered, what your talking about, they sell it on ebay. its called an "electric supercharger" its gay, it dont work, and ppl are stupid enough to buy them. so instead of tearing apart your comp to get at your fan, just buy one of these and be dissapointed.

a computer fan.. wtf?
i like that your thinking,
but your not thinking hard enough
tornado, all those POS electric supercharger fan kit things
dont work
this is the same thing
just smaller
waste of money, time, labor, brain cells, breath

Back