Ipod + docking station

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

And I need opinions from everyone, and not everyone hits up the electronics forum.

I seriously need to cut down my internet time at work. This means I need something to keep my mind occupied. Like music, for instance.

I know a lot of you have personal preferences over ipods, but the fact of the matter is that it's got the widest array of accessories. I'm planning on buying the basic 20gb (or whatever the smallest one is now) ipod and a docking station with speakers to put on my desk at work.

Now, what I need are peer reviews on docking stations. I know some of you have them - but how do you like them? If you were gonna buy one, what would you get? I'm looking for the best compromise between price and performance as usual. I don't want to break the bank on this.

Thanks guys.

I just got a 30gb Video Ipod, and I'm planning on purchasing the Ihome clock/radio docking station available at costco for 89.99.

It sounds good, and is a clock/radio and charges the ipod. :) They also have it available in black as well to match your shit.

Have you heard anything from your boss/IT? My bandwidth usage is supposedly monitored too but I download videos, stream music, download linux distributions, pretty much anything legal with impunity and I haven't heard a thing yet. 2MB/sec from fast distro mirrors rocks. :mrgreen:

The only thing I can't do is use p2p software of any kind. I use my work laptop at home and forgot I was downloading FC3 when I just put the laptop into suspend and went to work. System came back up on the work network and I got a call not 30 seconds later. :p

that's the attitude. Maybe you should dock on ipod to make you not be such a nasty ass instead of blaming your problems on a website.

-1 points.

Shut up, Steve.

I made this thread, asked a specific question, and got 3 completely unrelated replies, one useful one (thanks slammed), and another bashing me for being dissatisfied. The only thing saving this thread is slammed's reply.

And I'm not blaming my problems on a fucking website. I just want to have music to listen to at my desk, hence the nature of the fucking question.

i like my 30 gb ipod photo... except my apple computer ate all the music off of it today when it crashed... seems like some bullshit to me... hopefully i can fix her up when i get back to the desktop

oh.. and the iHome is pretty sweet... i dont have it personally but i got it for my sister for christmas and she uses it in her little cubicle thing at work and digs it

Quoted post[/post]]
i like my 30 gb ipod photo... except my apple computer ate all the music off of it today when it crashed... seems like some bullshit to me... hopefully i can fix her up when i get back to the desktop

oh.. and the iHome is pretty sweet... i dont have it personally but i got it for my sister for christmas and she uses it in her little cubicle thing at work and digs it

thanks pills. I've heard some questionable things about ipods. Can you only put music on it with itunes? Will it not accept the couple thousand mp3s I have?

It's expensive, but i LOVE my Bose Sound Dock... Credit Card Remote, Bose Quality, nice, clean, and simple.

well, the only thing i have besides my nano is the FM transmitter.

i don't really use it at home, i just use computer to play mp3s.

so, i can't help, but i've heard lots of good stuff about the bose one.

I have a 20gig Ipod and I love it. I have about 2000 mp3s now and its only half full.

The only downfall to downloading music off the net is that the TEXT (artist, song name, album...) isnt always filled out properly, and thats how the songs get organized. This can be fixed in the Itunes program though once you convert them from mp3 to the Ipod format.

As for the docking station I recommend that you don't buy it becuase its a waste of money. I bought mine for 79.99 Canadian and will probably be selling it on Ebay soon.

As far as i know, the only way to get the music to your ipod is with itunes, but you can put allllllllllllll the mp3's you want on it, doesnt matter if you downloaded it using Kazaa or LimeWire or WinMX whatever. You dont need to purchase from itunes to get it onto your ipod. You dont need to "covert" anything, just put the songs in the folder that the iTunes uses for its library, and youre done. No need to covert this to that.

I've heard quite a few different iPod docking stations with speakers.
Bose, JBL, Altec Lansing, and Logitec.

Make sure you dont get a battery operated one, they suck.... a lot. Logictec's is battery powered, while i think it looks great, batteries... sorry.

the JBL sound station looks cool, and it sounds pretty good. My friend bought one for 110 bucks or so, and he loves it.

the Altec Lansing one i heard, and i think they make more than just this one is ok, the sound is alright, but its battery powered. so fuck that.

Bose's SoundDock is incredible. It looks awesome, it sounds a lot better than any other ipod system ive heard.

the JBL isnt as crisp as the Bose, but if its just for your cubicle/small office, the JBL speakers will probably be more than enough. You dont need sound to fill an entire room (well a room of large size anyways), my father also just purchased the JBL ones that i linked above, he likes it a lot. He uses it in his decent sized office, and he says it sounds great for what he needs it for. He says he would of gotten the Bose, but he couldnt jusitfy spending that much on something he'd only use in his office.

my recommendation? JBL Sound Station.

Oh, i have the 20gb iPod and i love it. I use it everyday, mainly in my car via the Alpine headunit, but when i workout, go biking, exercise i bring it along, but i use different headphones (their headphones suck and hurt the insides of my ears). I think the iPod is the better choice because of the HUGE acceptance of it in... well... everything. Cars are coming with ipod connections, more and more "boom boxes" are being made, home stereos will (if not already) have ipod direct connections (not like you couldnt use a headphone to rca cord).

that JBL one looks to be just what I'm looking for. thanks sean

Back