ipod in car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thats what i want. RCA jacks.. i remember buying something like that a while back for my old pioneer head unit. it had a CD player input that you could convert to RCA in. i just basically want the volume to work on the external controls.. i dont mine changing the songs with my ipod. i will probably just use the remote like i do normally

The Alpine with the I-Pod adapter works awesome.. And Celesta I thought it just worked though the AI-Net control so the 7998 it should work with it since its a AI-Net radio..

And as far as the Steering wheel controls Perephial makes an adapter to work with them or even Soundgate I thinks makes one to work the Factory controls to work with the Alpine radio.

But also Alpine and Pioneer both have that adapter that will let you change the P-Bus on the Pioneer and the AI-Net on the Alpine to work with an AUX input..

But the stock S2K radio does't have AUX inputs.

Just buy a new Beemer they are wired to work the Ipods from factory.. :)

Originally posted by CarAudiophile@Jan 6 2005, 05:11 PM
The Alpine with the I-Pod adapter works awesome.. And Celesta I thought it just worked though the AI-Net control so the 7998 it should work with it since its a AI-Net radio..
[post=442251]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I think it's just AI-Net. It's been so long since I've checked the specs on the 7998, so I don't know what it has or doesn't have for external interfaces anymore. If it'll work with my 7998, I'm getting it. :thumbsup:

has anybody made anything compatible with my Ipod Photo? I wanna see my album covers on my in-dash...

Originally posted by spectacle@Jan 7 2005, 01:10 AM
has anybody made anything compatible with my Ipod Photo? I wanna see my album covers on my in-dash...
[post=442415]Quoted post[/post]​

I seriously doubt it.... but you can just use your AV cable to hook it up to the screen.

Originally posted by CarAudiophile@Jan 6 2005, 06:11 PM

And as far as the Steering wheel controls Perephial makes an adapter to work with them or even Soundgate I thinks makes one to work the Factory controls to work with the Alpine radio. 

But also Alpine and Pioneer both have that adapter that will let you change the P-Bus on the Pioneer and the AI-Net on the Alpine to work with an AUX input..

But the stock S2K radio does't have AUX inputs.

Just buy a new Beemer they are wired to work the Ipods from factory.. :)
[post=442251]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not arguing with you.

However, why is it that my mom's stock 98 Honda Civic LX had a CD changer in the trunk that was controlled by the Honda radio? Did that option get added at the factory or did the stereo have AUX inputs?

edit: added the year of the car.

most Honda radios have a CD changer hookup in back. if you're handy with circuits, you could figure out which pins carry audio signal, and solder in a 1/8" cable for your iPod. Then you've got a factory radio with buttons on the steering wheel and an iPod on the CD changer button.
Pills, why are you aversed to FM modulators? I've not tried the 3rd party modulators, but Apple's iTrip is super. It's small, clean, no cords or extra buttons, and sound quality is crisp. If you haven't tried it, buy it and keep the receipt, return it if you don't like it.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jan 7 2005, 01:27 PM-->
spectacle
@Jan 7 2005, 01:10 AM

I seriously doubt it.... but you can just use your AV cable to hook it up to the screen.
[post=442470]Quoted post[/post]​

Doesn't work that way...the cable is only useable for photo slideshows. Apple is teh suck

Originally posted by bcman@Jan 8 2005, 04:35 AM
Pills, why are you aversed to FM modulators? I've not tried the 3rd party modulators, but Apple's iTrip is super. It's small, clean, no cords or extra buttons, and sound quality is crisp. If you haven't tried it, buy it and keep the receipt, return it if you don't like it.
[post=442913]Quoted post[/post]​

The kinds that I have seen suck. They reduce the quality alot and makes a 160kbs song sound like 64kbs.

i have the apple iTrip... absolutely TERRIBLE. i like to enjoy static free CD quality (at least) music.. i got it over a year ago and used it twice because it sucks so bad... i'm a huge apple fan though.. the new computer i got is great

Originally posted by bcman@Jan 8 2005, 03:35 AM
most Honda radios have a CD changer hookup in back. if you're handy with circuits, you could figure out which pins carry audio signal, and solder in a 1/8" cable for your iPod. Then you've got a factory radio with buttons on the steering wheel and an iPod on the CD changer button.

thats exactly what i want to do. i think they sell an adapter that goes from CD changer plug to RCA cables

Originally posted by pills_PMD+Jan 11 2005, 06:02 PM-->
@Jan 8 2005, 03:35 AM

thats exactly what i want to do. i think they sell an adapter that goes from CD changer plug to RCA cables
[post=444143]Quoted post[/post]​

There is a company that makes them for OEM radios...if I run into the link again I'll post it up

update: the stupid dodge stealth that i am driving for the winter doesn't have a cd player, so i bought one of those tape adapters, low and behold the fucking tape deck doesn't work...

so i went and bought another iTrip. My old one must be defective, because this one at least broadcasts a signal and you can hear music. quality still sucks, and i will definately get something else for the s deuce

Originally posted by pills_PMD+Jan 11 2005, 10:02 AM-->
@Jan 8 2005, 03:35 AM
most Honda radios have a CD changer hookup in back.  if you're handy with circuits, you could figure out which pins carry audio signal, and solder in a 1/8" cable for your iPod.  Then you've got a factory radio with buttons on the steering wheel and an iPod on the CD changer button.

[post=444143]Quoted post[/post]​

Do you have an input for an AUX CD changer? If so there are a couple options there.

Here are some:
http://peripheralelectronics.com/iPod2car/index.shtml
http://www.carplayer.com/
http://densionusa.com/merchant/merchant.mv...ategory_Code=IA

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Jan 11 2005, 10:01 AM
i have the apple iTrip... absolutely TERRIBLE. i like to enjoy static free CD quality (at least) music.. i got it over a year ago and used it twice because it sucks so bad...
[post=444140]Quoted post[/post]​

i have one, it sounds Great, it all depends on the car you drive and where your antenna is and how well it picks up radio signals, most newer cars will not pick up fm brodcasts inside the car, i haven't a clue why, but have tried it on certian cars, will work out side but not inside, plus, if you drive around, it will be bombarded by other raido signals near it and it will start to static. the neo ion is your best solution, or you could try MONSTER CABLE's addition, its just like th neo ion

Originally posted by Calesta+Jan 2 2005, 04:03 PM-->
You might look into one of the new Alpine head units and their iPod module... that way you can upgrade the head unit at the same time.
[post=440166]Quoted post[/post]​
Great idea if he wants to switch Headunits.

pills_PMD
@Jan 2 2005, 05:41 PM
also, i forgot to mention that using the integrated controls (to the left of the steering wheel) is a function I would like to keep.
[post=440203]Quoted post[/post]​

You might lose a few controls by switching headunits and you will more than likely have to put a module in the car to get that to work even with some controls not working.

Originally posted by spectacle@Jan 7 2005, 02:10 AM

Put a computer in your car!
Besides that the alpine 9835 is a good addition to your stereo sound quality and the alpine ipod module connects it so that you can control from the head unit or remote.
I have had mine for a while now works awesome. The ipod module charges the ipod while it is plugged into you deck so it doesn't ever die on you. Down side is that when scrolling through songs on the ipod or artist it only scrolls one per second. so make a lot of smaller playlists.

Back