Is It Nasty And Is It Possible

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to do a b20b vtech swap with type r head and ls tranny for turbo is this gonna be a good swap and is it complicated its for my 91 si rex. :blink:

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@May 31 2003, 11:16 PM
I dont think type r cams would be that great for turbo, and i hear that the b16 head flows just as well as the type r.

right, the ITR cams wouldn't be the greatest for boost. and the b16 head does not flow as well as the itr. it is out of the same cast, but the ITR heads come with a light port 'n polish from the factory.

and about the first question or statement or whatever it was...
i wouldn't boost on the stock b20 sleeves, i'd def. get it sleeved first. and if you're gonna sleeve it, it's not worth it to start with a b20 block. just get the ls block and sleeve it to 84mm. you'll have the same block for less $$$ as the b20 block is more expensive than the LS. and the "LS tranny is best for boost" is somewhat of an internet myth... from what brian told me... you would have to be runnin' nines for it to be geared properly. the gsr would be a better tranny for your application. how built is this engine gonna be? what are you plans for it? how much do you want to spend? how much power do you want to make?

i just wanted the bigger torque range and the hay i got b20 vtec thing but if a b16 head is better than that is cool but about the ls tranny they said its gear higher for max speed like 150+ is what ive heard you know i dont want a 200 or 250hp engine that can only go 120 but im gonna build it but its for my rex i have a 94 teg hooked kinda rims and all but i want a lighter car no car payment and less insurance you know what would you guys do keep a nice lookin car with reg ins. and a $230 payment or sell and hook up your already payed for rex it needs a little body work hood fenders but its a 1991 si 5speed last model power sunroof its aight but give me your opinions on what you would do...and all that replyed thanx

yo i would pay off the teg then start hooking up the rex. grab the b16 head do some port work and bam! you have a type R head, if not better. the ls trany is gear longer then the gsr so if you want highway racing/ top speed go with the ls, but for the strip the gsr would be better due to lower gearing. The ITR S8 trany would be a bad ass for a drag or auto X with a final drive of 4.8 if you round up and the small ass second and third gears, plus the LSD. The 94-00 ls s80/y80 tranys are geared even longer then the 90-93 ys1 but you they're hydro tranys so you would need a cable/ hydro converison from hasport to work in your rex. From what i've read is that the GSR cams like boost. but for real why be so greedy and just stick with a high CR N/A motor.

oh yeah up top ^ with the b16 head + port work = type R head - cam and valve shite

nice little math prob for you :lol:

Crvtec.........
Oh to start over again........ I would do it just like this:

A civic HB, 1992-2000

GSR tranny (bob said it was the best for this build)
GSR Head/intake/cams/Injectors/rail/stock wires/DIST.
Platinum NGK Plugs
B20Z2 block w/a decent blockguard
Fluidyne radiator 3" thick
Balanced and knife-edged crankshaft
New Vtec 84mm pistons, rings, rods, block girdle, excellent german bearings (spend money).
GSR ECU (OBD1 or OBD2) wiring harness to match it.
High-strength CV-Axles (titanium? I could have with all the money I wasted trying to find the right combo)
Coilovers (tokico white adjustable struts)
aftermarket GSR exhaust header, with stainless catback
2.7" cat, flowmaster
The lightest weight 15x7" rims I could buy, with 50/215 tires (bridgestone's new poly-belted ones with the noise canceller channels)
A full ARP bolt kit for the GSR motor/head (B18C1)
Urethane bushing kit for the whole Civic HB
Front and rear sway bars

Maybe an apexi Air/fuel/Vtec controller (for tuning)

A good reliable build. say 200+ hp NA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back