Is this cam too much?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BBFROMAL

Im wonderin if the crower 405 cams n a b18b with b16 pistions is too big of a cam.

i didn't even know they madce a 405... i thought 404 was their largest.

for a street application, i'd say its too big.

b16s will give you about 11:1. with a huge cam, you're going to want more compression....

11:1 for 403's
12:1 for 404's
12.5:1 + for 405's
would be my best estimate for a good compression ratio for the cam

you can run 404's with less compression.

I have seen someone run 9.5:1 and still make this dyno (again have to post it just since it is so impressive)

dyno_hpitr.jpg

This is styleTEG's dyno. The top line is his b18b with crower 404's, and the bottom is a tuned ITR.

Doing some dynamic compression calculations I found that at 11.6:1 on a B18B with 404s, you are going to gain 25% cranking pressure. This is pretty much the sweet spot for honda engines and performance. Any higher than that and you will increase parasitic loss to the point where you will end up blunting your top end power.

yea to be honest ive been lookn at the 404s just confused asto if i wanna go ls/vtec and do cams later on or do a ls with cams righr now btw this is goin n a 92 cx hatch

you cant do really large cams on a ls/vtec because the pistons come really close to the valves on stock cams, 404s might hit, you have to clay the pistons and see if it hits.

Back