1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this valve lash? ( watch video)

Discussion in 'Accord' started by rondogg779, Aug 29, 2010.

1. rondogg779

rondogg779 New Member

my motor has alot of top end noise and im wondering if it is valve lash or lifters,rockers,etc.its not quite as loud as the camera makes it seem.would really like to know if it would be ok driving it like this for a couple weeks and if putting some lucas oil stabilizer in it would help.the oil in it now is new(looks new i didnt change it but i just got the car.)any suggestions are greatly appreciated.thanks

YouTube - valve lash???

2. Dual-500

Dual-500 Well-Known Member VIP

This should be interesting.

Yes, it sounds like valve lash. Hard to tell on video, but it doesn't sound too bad. Don't rev it up - take it easy.

Why wait? Run the valves. Easy to do. My '91 hatch is on a 15k mile interval as I recall for valve adjustment.

It takes me less than an hour to run the valves on the D16A6 in the hatch.

Do you have tools? Are you going to do the work or take into shop?

3. rondogg779

rondogg779 New Member

i guess i am going to take it to a shop because i cant afford to mess anything up.i have the concept down on how to do it but id rather not make any mistakes.as far as driving it like this would it be ok for a few days?and would the lucas help any???

4. Dual-500

Dual-500 Well-Known Member VIP

Theoretically, anything that thickens the viscosity of the oil will help. How much? Who knows?

Drive it as little as possible. Don't rev it up. It'll be fine. I've had 'em that loose on a new build or head replacement. Doesn't take much to get them clattering.

Just take it easy and get it to the shop as soon as you can.

I'm guessing it's loudest when cold?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted