J30A1 3.0L USDM SOHC VTEC V6 98-02 Accord V6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2fast4you

well this is my first post on this site although ive read many posts and goten very good pointers so far, i currently have a 2000 3.0L AT accord and i have done custom CAI headers and catback exhaust. im currently looking at a custom single turbo kit for this car and swapping it to a MT. if anyone can give some pointers about the intake manifold and and what mods i would need to do to the head to run a single turbo properly it would be greatly appreciated. also anyone that has any other reccomendations about what else to upgrade with out majorly altering the car id love to have some more ideas.

Last edited:
Turbo builds generally focus more on reinforcing the block as opposed to the head. As long as you keep the boost low, say around 5-8 psi and make sure you're tuned properly you should be fine.

As for the transmission swap, you're just going to need pretty much everything that comes on a manual transmission car, the tranny, master and slave cylinders, shift linkages, shifter, shift knob, center console for a manual tranny, gauge cluster for a manual car (optional).

what tranny would be a relitivly easy but high quality tranny swap? ive heard the acura CL type -s 6 speed goes in like butter and is very good for high HP engines but then ive also read a few posts about it only lasting 15.5k or 19k miles which makes me worry. anyone knowing a tranny that wont take to much fabrication but is good tranny please let me know. thx for the advice and knowledge brutal anymore for this engine would be great =)

If you have the money, go for the CL Type S swap with the 6 speed. However, it is rare to see that swap in a 6th gen. Once you get that completed, look into getting a SC for it. There are more reliable SC kits for the CLS than turbo kits. If you're looking for a relatively easy modification get the J35 block out of an Odessey and use your J30 head. It is a direct bolt on and is pretty straight forward for anyone that has done a swap before. As for the trannie, I haven't heard of the CLS' crapping out, but the J30 AT are notoriously bad. Dr. Evil does make a built AT for the V6 Accord, but it's probably close to $5k. I would plan it out and research some more before you go buying anything. That's my $0.02.

Last edited:
Oddy Swap

i kno that the oddessy is only a .5 L diff in engine size....but do u think the accord has the space for it?

Hey, how many degrees of oppostion are between the two banks on the Honda V-6? The reason I ask is becase on the VW VR-6 there is a 15 degree oppostion, I believe. Thats a pretty popular motor to build up, so maybe some of the things used on those motors could be modified for use on a Honda, like the turbo setup.

Back