JDM Harley Davidson

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

-zak-

So, I started up my JDM B18C last night for the first time. Finally got everything together and ready to go, and I went to start it, and all I get is "*CLICK*" so I cleaned off the battery posts and leads and tried again.

This time the starter goes, tries to turn the motor over with 2 chugs of the starter, the motor goes Blub blub and I let off. Start it again, and it cranks over and fires up! I can't tell you how stoked I am to get the thing turning over, filmed it and everything, my first swap and all. Anyway, the thing sounds like a Harley (hense the thread title) and is idling REALLY rough at about 1200 rpm or so. It just goes "BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB" and I shut it down after about 15 seconds running.

I have no intake on the throttle body, and the header is open free and I'm getting a Check Engine Light. Now this was at 3 am when I finally got it going, so I had to turn in to get at least 4 hours sleep before work :p so I'll be bridging the wires by the ECU to see what the CEL is, but I just wanted to gather your thoughts on what might be making my engine sound like this. Personally I'm thinking Timing, but I'm not sure if Timing would throw a code, but then it could be Timing AND something to throw a code.
Thanks for your input!

if you don't have an exhaust on there at all, you are missing the o2 sensors. it will cause it to run like that. plus you need to get an intake on your car. check your timing also.

Sorry, I should have said it was an OBD1 Motor, so there is only the one O2 sensor. I will put the Intake on first thing when I get home.

About the timing, I have a timing light and I put it on there, but couldn't see any timing marks on the pulley. Do you put the timing lead around the #1 spark plug wire? Also, do you adjust the timing by rotating the dizzy cap? As it stands right now, the distributor is rolled all the way forward towards the radiator, but I haven't tried to adjust it yet, that's just how it came.

thanks
zak

Back