1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Journey of the Media PC

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by TurboMirage, Nov 7, 2009.

1. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

So a few years ago my sister gave me this Gateway 838GM desktop computer that didn't work. Turns out it needed a power supply, when I fixed it she said she didn't want it back she bought a new one.

Spec:
    Vista Enterprise
    Intel P4 3GHZ HT
    512MB RAM
    200GBSATA HDD
    Onboard shit video
    Realtek audio
    DVD RW and ROM

i put it in the closet with a cat5 connection and there it sat. i remoted into it everytime i needed to work on it otherwise i hit the files using windows shares. i have the DYNDNS client on it too so i can get my files from wherever i have an internet connection. it was a pretty decent file server. as it got loaded up with files it got pretty slow. It is also running BOINC for Mirageforums.net . why aren't you?

Upgraded it since though, in order of operations -
    added 400w power supply
    added 750GB secondary SATA HDD
    added ATI Radeon HD 3600, with HDMI output and cable
    Windows 7 Enterprise
    added 1GB ram making the total 1.5GB
    added D-Link N Extreme Wifi adapter

I had moved it into the parlor under the big screen and obviously hooked it up using HDMI ;) so now i use it as a media center. all my movies, pictures, and DVDs (plus DVD downloads) are all accessible through media center as well as the GUI. no need for a mouse and keyboard since i use DAMEWARE to get to the desktop, much better than terminal services in this case. i never have to worry about videos playing like crap due to the high powered video card and even the low resolution files taken from older cameras look great upconverted in HD.

best $370 i ever spent on a machine. probably last atleast a few more years in this role. eventually i want to wipe it clean, drop more RAM in it, and install 7 Enterprise x64 .

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Sweet. I'm rebuilding my HTPC right now- just got a 55" LCD to watch, so I have to feed it with something decent. I'm reusing a Gigabyte 690G board with HDMI output that includes 7.1 sound and an Opteron 1216 CPU. I measured out an Antec Fusion Micro case at Fry's last night and will probably order one with a BD-ROM from Newegg later today to finish it up. I think I can still fit my water cooling setup in it too... but it'll be tight!

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

that sounds more like a gaming machine :lol:

i want to run starcraft2 on this when it comes out too.

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Nah, all spare parts, seriously. ;)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted