1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just bought a 2000 Si

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by grifter2162, Sep 30, 2003.

1. grifter2162

grifter2162 Junior Member

Hey all
    Just bought a 2000 civic Si with 60K on it, got it for 11000. Loving the feel of a b16a2. Just wanted some opinion on what to do with it, I just ordered a front mount air intake and a set of tein s-tech springs. I think i need a exhaust and a header next or would pulleys be a good gain.

Thanks in advance

2. saturn_boy96

saturn_boy96 88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R

exhaust and header are good. next get adjustable cam gears. then decide if you wanna stay n/a or go f/i.

3. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

the front mount intake isn't one of those gay intakes that kinda look like a front mount intercooler are they?

4. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

:lol: :lol: :lol: haha those things are so ghey, ram air y0!

but to grifter- forget the pulleys, they do more harm then good. get a good exhaust and header, i would recommend tanabe super racing medallion or thermal r&d catback. ive had them both and i love them both. dc headers are ok, some people have good experience, some have bad, but they are good for the price. if you got the cash, go for a hytech or smsp header, they are very expensive, but give the most gains. good luck

5. chingro

chingro Senior Member

hey hey hey!!!!! hold up :angry:

we are not here to make fun of the guy.....in my book, if he "LOVES" how much power he is getting from a B16A in a civic coupe, then he's still has alot to learn.
    and the fact that he is here asking for help, makes us know he knows this...

first: congrats on the new civic couple..

second: the intake u got does not do the trick and yess it looks "ghay" (i'm being honest)

Third:

Now for the Mods you are asking about....Intake, FULL CAT BACK EXHAUST, and Header.

NOW if you want GOOD POWER GAIN......you will have to look into some CAMS, aftermarket Clutch system, and LSD for your Drivetrain *i got a used one in my tranny, worth every penny*

the next step up, is changing out your stock pistons for a set of higher compression pistons *11:1 JE forged or better*, Cylinder head Port polish, Retainers/Springs....and Adjustable CAM GEARS, and Chipped ECU

and a Apex VTEC/Fuel controler would dot he trick for your tunning

now this is not CHEAP, NO FAST NA SETUP IS CHEAP, and POWER GAIN WILL NOT BE AS MUCH AS NOS OR TURBO....BUT YOU ENGINE WILL LAST LONGER, amd BE MORE RELIABLE.

6. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

congrats on your 2000 Si. I just bought one too!!! :D

I was asking the same question, no one answered me though. Oh well. Thanks everyone for the answer.

7. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

1. Pay it off first, if you haven't already done that.
    2. Buy a real intake, not that Arospeed FMIS crap.
    3. S-Tech springs are good if you want a mild lowering without much of an increase in spring rate.
    4. Get a good quality exhaust, header, and intake like these guys have suggested.
    5. You could turbo the car if you wanted to- for about $2500-4000 depending on what you get, you could easily have 250whp.

8. chingro

chingro Senior Member

[​IMG]

hey Calesta that is the same mount i have in my car now...i guess i'm not he only one who has a auto to manual swap here.... :unsure:

i did my conversion on my own, i already gave my arm and leg and right nut away when i got the AUTO teg. :( ....took me a weekend :blink:

9. Gen2Teg

Gen2Teg Senior Member

Cam gears with stock cams are just as usefull as a 3 foot rear spoiler on a front wheel drive car. Get a cold air intake, JDM ITR headers, and a good cat-back system. Then drop it on some ground control coilovers with some good shocks and get some strut bars. You should be good for a while with that, then just move on building it.

10. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

and that extra header on an inline for would be even more useless. go back to superhonda.

11. Gen2Teg

Gen2Teg Senior Member

and that four would be even nicer. go back to middle school. excuse me if i put an S on there. jerkoff

12. SolReaver

SolReaver Senior Member

front mount intakes=teh lame

decide how much power you want out of the car first, then we can give you more accurate suggestions

13. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

:lol: , oops. :owned: .

14. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

alarm the bitch
    kill switch the bitch
    insure the bitch
    lojack the bitch
    buy a garage for the bitch

those should be your first set of mods.

15. Bob Vila

Bob Vila ɐןıʌ qoq Admin VIP

good advice...

you forgot one tho.

BUBBA w/ a 12 gauge.

16. Tonyd0821

Tonyd0821 Banned

boost it.

17. Tonyd0821

Tonyd0821 Banned

ok. someone explain this to me....

not that i would have ever bought one if i went n/a

BUT

to me, the theory that having a front mount intake sounds like it would allow more cool air that if you just had a cai...

why do you guys say they are shit?

i know they look ricey, but in theory dont they work?

18. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

things to get

intake: Comptech Icebox/J's racing CF sausage intake
    Header: ITR 4-1 Jdm/SMSP/Hytech/HeaderTech
    Exhaust: any 2.5 incher with resonator and your muff of choice

a good idea is to convert from odb2-->1 and get a P28 with an ITR base map

Lightweight flywheel/clutch combo..Exedy is very good for the Si.

ITR bottomend swap is nice also to get higher compression, ability to rev high and 1.8 liters of displacement.

good luck..

19. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

how bout we ask him what his plans for the car are. so, what are your plans?? drag racer, auto x'er, road course.... do you want to go turbo or n/a? is it going to be your daily driver? how much money you willing to spend?

but id first do what b said, get an alarm, killswitch, and garage. and also, pay it off.

20. chingro

chingro Senior Member

the piping gets hot too, and if you have to much piping the air will get just as hot.....plus the flow of the air will not be good, too much bends and turns, RAM air is the best...straight flow, less piping, and all u need to do is build a heat shield to block off the engine hot air from getting to the air filter.....and you have a better performance INTAKE, and you don't have to worry about hydro locking you engine *sucking up water in engine, fastest way to throw away your motor*...AEM has a by-pass valve to prevent hydro locking, but i'll just avoid the situation all together.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted