Just got an Electric Car 56k bites

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ran into my first problem today..

Well it really wasn't me.

After my mom got off of work today the car wouldn't move. The battery light would stay solid. Not the battery meter but there's a light for troubleshooting the aux battery pack for the accessories.

She got another way home and when I was able to check it out and I pulled my multimeter out to test everything. Tried it myself when i got there, same thing, checked the auxiliary pack it was at about 13.7 volts. The car apparently has a safety switch for this so I let the lights drain power a bit and was able to drive it home.

I don't have a clue what caused it.

I still have to pickup my bike from that parking garage though.....

the auxiliary battery was. not the main packs

There's 6 ones for the motor, and 1 small motorcycle sized one that feeds the lights, gages, radio, and such.

Hmm, so the DC-DC converter is overcharging the aux...

Sounds like a bad voltage regulator (If it has one like an alternator) I'm not sure how all that works on an EV.

I honestly do not know if it has a DC - dc converter, but why would the battery have to be there. keep the draw off the battery. I know the regen system seems to charge it, but other than that I honestly don't know.

The batteries that run the motor are usually wired in series, thus making a much higher voltage. The aux battery for accessories is still 12 volt, so it needs a DC-DC converter to downgrade the voltage. I'm guessing something is wrong with the voltage regulation of the converter.

I know the batteries are run in a series, but they may have done some weird setup. I have not located a converter yet. I think it may have been a fluke I have a habit of hitting these, so if it happens again i will address it. It wont stop me from locating everything in the car though.

i know you can also run off a battery in the series, but its not good for it since you will only be draining one.

Car is still running good. No other issues. Covered the tabs on the door panels so there isn't the black anymore. Sorry no pics right now though.

Got a lot of people interested in electric cars here, mostly those who have multiple cars and use their Z4 for round town trips and Sunday drives.

just on a random note.

A few months after warranty expired the speedometer has gone out along with the battery meter. So its been out for a little over a week. Haven't worried too much since you really cannot speed too much with it, but it would be something that is nice to have and also a little bit required.

Still trying to get the service manual from a Zenn dealer since the only like to send me general information on it and no pinouts.

So as far as the information sits, I need to remove the dash to fix it since it seems to be a common grounding issue. It may have to wait since I will likely be moving out to Pittsburgh. I'll post pics later of some of my progress.

Same price more or less.
29_35_19---Smart-Car_web.jpg

But it does 90mph and gets 40+mpg.

Still doesn't hang with an 88 CRX hf. Go technology go.

agreed..

This car is actually bigger than the smart and energy wise it uses less.
I would rather get an old honda, toyota or any old compact car from mid 80s- to mid 90s and get better gas mileage then the smart.. It's rated at 32 city and 40 something highway. Which is really sad when you compare it to a geo metro XFI which I think was also less expensive when sold new.

The idea here is it is electric.. something different. Downside is it is only a round town vehicle. My opinion so far Zenn is not as good of quality as they say or think it is.

Back