Just swapped my LSVTEC..EEEK

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kyrstie

Please help me out, and PLEASE dont be douches about it.

So i swapped my LSvtec in its fully built.. i just need the turbo now. These are the details so i dont get asked.
-B18a1
-B16 Head
-Darton MID sleeves
-Golden Eagle Block Guard
-Scat H beam rods
-je 8.5:1 compression pistons
-Arp head studs
-Omni power titanium valve spring and retainers
-Crower valves
-Omni turbo cams
-AEM true time cam gears
-Skunk2 pro series intake manifold
-Skunk2 Short shifter
- Fidanza lightweight Flywheel
- Act street and strip Stage 3 clutch
- Just a Vibrant Short ram intake
- Still waiting on a 4-2-1 header , while i wait for the turbo.

Suspension
- Skunk2 Coilovers
- Skunk2 LCA's
- Rear camber kit
- Skunk2 rear lower tiebar

this is my problem

http://www.facebook.com/v/131139639195

if that video didnt work, i started my car, it stalled ( low rpm ) , then started it again, it started fine, ran fine then a bunch of blue smoke came out, its not a headgasket but it poured out LIKE one. It comes out now everytime i rev it up.
I didnt beat the crap out of it either.

PCV?
Valve Seals?
Ringgs??!? i hope not.
Could it have Jumped a tooth??? it DOES sorta sound like a boxer engine but i dont know.
i am still learning!

help help help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...quite a build. It shouldn't sound like a lawnmower...I mean Subaru.
Do the easy thing and check the synchronization between the crank and cam gears. Gently put a long skinny screw driver in the spark plug hole for piston #1. Turn the crank and get the screw drvier to its highest point...TDC. Then you can check the cam gears to see where the arrows and hash marks are.

Blue smoke could be oil getting to the spark plugs which could be rings...ouch. Did you make sure the clearances for the rings were good to go? They often need to be ground down (maybe got ground down too much?) Hopefully this isn't it. It could be a seal but I don't know what happened during your assembly.

The die at idle...was it when you reved it up a little and when the rpm's went down...it ried to idle but just kinda died? This could be the lightened flywheel. Not sure if you should have or even need that flywheel with the extent of the build and the turbo boosting mad pounds. But I have seen some cars die from the flywheel being light and the momentum of the motor reving down but it keeps goig down when a stock flywheel stabilizes quicker

You check the plugs? May need to take the head off and get to work.

ahahha well that atleast made me laugh.

Thank for all of that though.
its none of those.
Its the PCV.
It was running rich for a while then i took out the IAB's then it fixed the sputtering at 3500rpm and the vtec problem.
After i did that this smoke happened.
Its burning a lot of oil, its not the rings.
The pcv thats in it right now, which i didnt check, isnt a pcv, it doesnt even have a ball in it. so its just pushing oil out pretty much ( through my exhaust ) .

It smokes so bad i cannot see cars behind me.
So i put a new pcv in, it stalled, several times even trying to rev it thenletting off .. stalled.

So my idle needs to be raised, then i need to let it run at that , clean it all out, and it should be ok.
Cause the old POS pcv was letting oil go up and through everything and burnning it through my exhaust..And it got used to the low rpm.
So confusing to me lol.

I am still learning.

might as well post a photo i guess.

DSCF6123.jpg

DSCF6119.jpg

DSC00644.jpg

The part where you said it smokes so bad you cant see cars behind you made me laugh. Thats a-lot-a smoke.

Hope the PVC fixes it. I would reset the ECU to see if it read it correctly and set the idle for you. If not....
just let it get up to running temp and adjust the flat head screw on the throttle body. It takes a few spins but
you'll hear the motor go one way or the other. I think lefty loosy goes up but don't quote me.

lol honestly, its A LOT.
Stupid question, but where is my Idle adjuster on this one? Its a B18 TB so im not sure, there are a few that look like them.. lol.
So what should i adjust the idle 1st and then switch my good PCV in it?

Put good PVC in...reset the ECU and start the car up. See what the ECU does to compensate for the good PVC now and it might fix itself. If it doesn't....get on the passenger side of the car and look at the TB where it attaches to the intake pipe. Next to it (on pass. side still) there is a flat head screw (it sits horizontal) that adjust the throttle. Just make sure the car is at running temp and all that.

What throttle cable do you have? The one that came in the car? What car/model?

the throttle cable i have is the EG ( d series one )
its fine, just need the proper bracket.

PCV was pretty much rejected.
Car woulnt idle on its own, computer kept trying to fix its self. etc etc.
I found a leak at the head and i think that the guy before me when we built it last summer, didnt put the right headgasket with dowels in it, or just the right dowels.

Not too sure about the "right dowels" scenario being the culprit.
But if you have a leak at the head...sounds like its worth investigating into the problem.

Motor was built last year? So this motor was running in another car?

it was running in a Ef before, it was running OK, but it wasnt tunned,it didnt have Vtec or the right Ecu hooked up, it sputtered because of the IACVs

i got the right ecu and the IACVs taken out of the computer and it doesnt sputter, but NOW when i am going to vtec it works. BUT i think that it not being used for the 5000k and then sitting for 5months might have made my vtec plug start to leak?
Cause its quite strange.

Well....this sounds like it could be a variety of things b/c someone else built it and drove it

Look into the leaking head....could be something that needs to be addressed ASAP or engine failure

I'm guessing (by your post) that it was an LS before? (b/c it 'didn't have VTEC')

And what do you mean about your VTEC when you said, "But I think its not being used for the 5000K"?

sorry im not thinking straight, a friend passed away.

i meant that the car was driven for about 2000k then i drove it back from edmonton where it sat for about 5 months. it was fine.
It didnt have vtec because it had a obd0 ecu and the wireing was not hooked up.

Sitting for months makes me think its a seal....I don't know why but it reminded me of a situation my dad was in when he was looking for an Corvette LS1 for his hot rod. He wouldn't buy any set up if it had been sitting for a long period of time because the motor would most likely need to have many if not all of the seals replaced.

But I could be wrong about the seals. Address the leak in the head first...makes sense that it could be the culprit.

We think the head just wasnt tourqed down right.
So i shall dew that soon!

pcv was a big cause of the problem for the constant smoke.
the line from my catch can was going into my Intake Manifold. DUHH lol.
now im just getting it tuned slowly.

blew the rad hose last night at a drive through ahaha.
Pushed it, then replaced it! lol.

So was it bad torque settings? I would think you need to check to see if head is a little warped from it all.

Motors still kickin! Shes just... fwd... i was rwd... so im thinking f20c convertion and get my ass into the drift sheet.

031.jpg

kyrstieislowww.jpg

3877580324_359b086790_o.jpg

8321_165839279195_677014195_3646294.jpg

Back