knock sensor question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

triton302

i did a minime on my 99 DX from d16y7 to y8, everything runs fine except i have a CEL for a knock sensor. i have the p2p ecu from a 99 ex and that means i have to have the sensor. at the moment i can get the knock sensor but i cant do an ecu swap to a p28 with obd1 convernsion. but my BIG question is this... is it possible that if i just wire the knock sensor up to the ecu, i can make a bracket and mount it somewhere out of the way along the firewall perhaps, or will i DEFINITELY need to mount it into the block??? i really dont want to have to drill the block for it. any and all help would be great!!!

most of the SOHC civics dont have a knock sensor EXCEPT the 96-00 EX's and the 99-00 HX's. the stock y7 didn't have one but now i need one to get rid of the CEL. like i said i dont want to have to drill the block for it if i dont have to.

chip the ecu and disable the knock sensor then

i dont think thats possible, OBDIIb ecus cannot be reprogrammed or chipped, thats why when civic owners do a minime they usually go with a p28 ecu with an OBDI conversion harness, i would do this but i cant afford it at the moment

The knock sensor has to be mounted somewhere were there is vibration. So either on the block or somewhere where there is vibration or ive actually read about it being mounted on the altenator bracket. Its up to you either that or swap to obd1 and use the p28 which requires no knock sensor and no second o2 sensor. Ive also read about people using the p2p and running into fuel tank pressure CEL, i believe you can get rid of that by switching to an aftermarket fuel pump or using one from an EX Car... Not really sure on that though. need anything else lemme know.

The knock sensor has to be mounted somewhere were there is vibration. So either on the block or somewhere where there is vibration or ive actually read about it being mounted on the altenator bracket. Its up to you either that or swap to obd1 and use the p28 which requires no knock sensor and no second o2 sensor. Ive also read about people using the p2p and running into fuel tank pressure CEL, i believe you can get rid of that by switching to an aftermarket fuel pump or using one from an EX Car... Not really sure on that though. need anything else lemme know.

how would i go about mounting it on the alternator bracket?

I believe people took out the bolt and retapped it to the thread of the knock sensor and used that. Maybe used a shorter bolt in one side and tap the other side so the bolt goes in one way and the knock sensor in the other.

Back