Looking for D15B piston/rod specs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LaBong

I got screwed by the California goverment. They told me to go ahead and use a D15B to replace the engine in my 97 Civic DX HB. They said it will pass smog fine as long as I keep all the CA smog equipment on it. So I went and spent a bunch of money, got the d15b, put it in, with all the smog equipment, and take it to the referee. He takes one look at the engine and says "you cant use that engine, you need to change the engine". Apparently the 1.5 was stopped being offered in 95 in the US, so my car is 2 years too new.

So now I got a D15b that I cant use. But, the engines are so similar, I need to know if the cam and pistons in the D15b are close enuf to use in my d16y7, to rebuild it. Im trying to save as much money as I can and get my damn car back on the road. My 1.6 had a bad knock, so Im sure Ill need to replace pistons.

Thanks for your help.:huh:

d-series specs found

so I found this:
D-Series Specs

So the bore and the rod length are teh same, since the cam decides the stroke, can I use my 1.6 cam with the 1.5 pistons?

There is an obd2 d15b 3 stage VTEC. Anyways to try to fill you in on your d15b and a couple other things. All sohc 1.5 blocks have a deck hight of 207 mm. All sohc 1.6 blocks have a deck hight of 212 mm. All 1.5 connecting rods have a length of 134 mm EXCEPT the JDM d15b and USDM d15z1, they are the same length as all 1.6 connecting rod of 137 mm. The crank journal diameter on all 1.5 blocks is about 42mm in diameter and 45mm for the 1.6. So... the JDM d15b and USDM d15z1 have a connecting rod that is the length of 1.6 rod but fits the smaller crank journal diameter of a 1.5. What that means is your d15b rods would not fit the crank on your d16y7 and putting the d15b crank, rods and pistons in a d16y7 block would net you a compression ratio about 6:1. Because there is an obd2 JDM d15b and all d15b blocks are the same, I would try to find an obd2 d15b head. The "Referee" won't know the bottom end is obd1 because all the d15b block stampings are the same regardless of the year (and none of them will have a number after the b because its JDM). The cylinder head may have a diffrent stamping though... your's should say p08 on the front above your exhaust manifold. Hope that helps if you need any more info you can pm me.

Last edited:
Dragging this one back from the dead. I was doing some research and need to know if the D15B rods have the same diameter on the crank end as the D15Z6. I came across this post on a google search looking for the info I need.

I know this is old but it still comes up in a search and it is wrong. The d15b has the same rod journal as the 1.6l. The rods on a d15b and 1.6l are the same. The U.S. motors use the smaller size. If you want 1.6l rods and pistons in your 1.5l you can use a jdm crank out of a d15b, the rod ratio changes slightly but not enough to interfere with mach numbers or anything that matters.

Back