Loud Bang Followed by Building Shaking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

you will NEVER hear a sonic boom close to an air force base. it's highly illegal and against the rules to do that anywhere near civilization. it can break glass and cause major disturbances.
1st...have you ever lived near or in an air force base...i was born and raised on an air force base for the first 10 years of my life and moved off base, but still close by until now...i know what the fuck im hearing...its called a sonic boom...so i guess our base is breaking the laws...hmmm...:roll:

1st...have you ever lived near or in an air force base...i was born and raised on an air force base for the first 10 years of my life and moved off base, but still close by until now...i know what the fuck im hearing...its called a sonic boom...so i guess our base is breaking the laws...hmmm...:roll:

yeah dude, i was in the air force for 4 years. i worked f-16 avionics. even when we went to war and had emergency alert deployments they didnt make a sonic boom. they couldn't do it on takeoff even if they tried. i know what i'm talking about. to make a sonic boom an aircraft must travel at over 760 mph. i guarantee you, you are not hearing a sonic boom. it is not only difficult to obtain, but it compromises the integrity of the aircraft. i have worked aircraft that have experienced 8-9g's of force and none went over the sound barrier. where the hell is airjockie when you need him.

Sonic boom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
you make it sound like 760+ mph is a hard number to achieve. also you realize that most of the time when a plane breaks the sound barrier it is above 40,000 ft. where the speed of sound is closer to 660 mph. At that altitude youre still going to hear a sonic boom, but it is not going to be like KAAABOOOOM!!! your windows are broken. Now, if you 760 miles per hour at sea level, yeah, thats gonna break some windows.

you can be in the air force all you want, but unless you really know how sonic booms work, dont tell me that I or someone else havent heard them. I used to live at Wright Patterson and i heard that shit all the time (10+ years ago).

With the way the military has been working lately, i would agree that it is quite possible to hear a sonic boom. i hear stuff that strangely resembles what i remember hearing in my childhood, but i really doubt thats what it was.

Anyway its kind of a moot point.

you make it sound like 760+ mph is a hard number to achieve. also you realize that most of the time when a plane breaks the sound barrier it is above 40,000 ft. where the speed of sound is closer to 660 mph. At that altitude youre still going to hear a sonic boom, but it is not going to be like KAAABOOOOM!!! your windows are broken. Now, if you 760 miles per hour at sea level, yeah, thats gonna break some windows.

you can be in the air force all you want, but unless you really know how sonic booms work, dont tell me that I or someone else havent heard them. I used to live at Wright Patterson and i heard that shit all the time (10+ years ago).

With the way the military has been working lately, i would agree that it is quite possible to hear a sonic boom. i hear stuff that strangely resembles what i remember hearing in my childhood, but i really doubt thats what it was.

Anyway its kind of a moot point.

i'm saying, the original quote the guy said "it always happens". but it doesn't. myabe once a year if that. jets never just cruise over populated areas above the sound barrier. they don't NEED to go that fast even in wartime drills. it just doesn't happen.

lol, it's hilarious that you got on Hondaswap and started asking what it could be before you turned on the TV or heard it from a co-worker/family member. You are truly an HS member :p

nope...it's still all apart....:p
clayton, we need you to settle this debate. these guys are saying they are always hearing a sonic boom in their neighborhoods near air bases. i don't think they are. we need another vote. mine comes from my experience as an f-16 avionics guy, but then again, they say that isn't enough to be credible.

they can't...

Sonic booms have been restricted unless needed for a wartime emergancy in the continental US airspace. only area's able to be used are bombing ranges and over the ocean at least 10-20 miles offshore. there should be a law you can google up to verify this.

they can't...

Sonic booms have been restricted unless needed for a wartime emergancy in the continental US airspace. only area's able to be used are bombing ranges and over the ocean at least 10-20 miles offshore. there should be a law you can google up to verify this.

thanks clayton. i knew i was right. :kick:

i didnt deny it was a law. i know for a fact that it is (and did before i posted), but i also know that sonic booms over dayton ohio happened all the time when i was younger.

[CITE: 14CFR91.817]

[Page 245-246]

TITLE 14--AERONAUTICS AND SPACE

CHAPTER I--FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (Continued)

PART 91--GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES--Table of Contents

Subpart I--Operating Noise Limits

Sec. 91.817 Civil aircraft sonic boom.

(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft in the United States at a
true flight Mach number greater than 1 except in compliance with
conditions and

[[Page 246]]

limitations in an authorization to exceed Mach 1 issued to the operator
under appendix B of this part.
(b) In addition, no person may operate a civil aircraft for which
the maximum operating limit speed M<INF>M0</INF> exceeds a Mach number
of 1, to or from an airport in the United States, unless--
(1) Information available to the flight crew includes flight
limitations that ensure that flights entering or leaving the United
States will not cause a sonic boom to reach the surface within the
United States; and
(2) The operator complies with the flight limitations prescribed in
paragraph (b)(1) of this section or complies with conditions and
limitations in an authorization to exceed Mach 1 issued under appendix B
of this part.

(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number
2120-0005)

thanks again clayton. you can all bow down to nick and airjockie.:worthyp:

no one said it wasnt against the law to break the fuckin sound barrier. what was said is that it DID and DOES happen. you act like the military would NEVER violate federal law.

you live in dayton 10 years ago and tell me you cant tell the difference between a jet flying through the air making a loud noise and a sonic boom. There is a huge difference between the two sounds, and i dont doube for a minute that the law stated above is violated quite often.

the law above is for civilians, military has their own laws....and they pay the price....if any damage is done from doing a boom, then the nearest base has an office that a claim can be filed at to collect for the damage. But....booms nowadays are long gone...airspace restrictions, better high altitude flight, and sleaker jets that makes less booms, blah blah blha....

Dayton ehh....thos booms you heard years ago were UFO's.....:ph34r:

or f117s...whatever. my dad was an sp, so i didnt get any inside dirt on what was going on. oh well i was still there for the first civillian showing of the f117 (my mom and dad were organizers for air shows). That plane gave/gives me goose bumps.

or f117s...whatever. my dad was an sp, so i didnt get any inside dirt on what was going on. oh well i was still there for the first civillian showing of the f117 (my mom and dad were organizers for air shows). That plane gave/gives me goose bumps.

i had to work on a weekend of an airshow one time. the crew chiefs dropped a horizontal stabilizer. they boxed it up and brought it in for us to order a new one. we opened the box to make sure there was something in there. but it was nuts. there was this weird honey-comb composite on the inside with a black latex on the outside. i wish i could get that paint. those things are cool as shit. they are only at like 3 bases though and they all sucked. i'm glad i didn't get assigned to them.

Back