LS tramission GSR DIFF HELP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
Well, this isn't all confirmed yet but my builder has my transmission & was getting a LSD diff installed because my stock one broke. Basically without getting into a long story, I thought I had a GSR tranny & he's saying its a LS but someone put an GSR Diff in it which we all know shouldn't be there. I simply, for right now need to know if a GSR Diff can fit into a LS or rather can a LS ring gear fit onto a GSR diff. He is saying that he counted the teeth "64/15=4.2666 ratio", which is an LS FD but correct me if i'm wrong but I thought a LS FD cannot fit onto a GSR Diff. Isn't the LS diff physically smaller & the ring gear wouldn't swap over to a gsr?

Ok nevermind that I guess, assuming now I have a straight up LS transmission & I have a GSR LSD that I bought assuming it was a GSR tranny...if I still wanted to use the GSR LSD I would need to get a whole FD kit from a ITR/GSR/CTR? What do I need & lastly, how do you think a LS tranny with a JDM ITR 98 spec 4.78 FD do with LS gears? I'm building a poor man's type r at the moment. Will it still fall out of vtec when you switch gears drastically?

It may... I don't know where the LS transmission falls in terms of RPM per gear. The final drive won't change the operating range of your engine in each gear- that will remain the same. It will only change the speed range of each gear.

What your saying is, essentially i'll still have the longer gears but my engine will be at a higher rpm say when I switch gears or cruising speeds. Its hard to explain what I think your saying but I get the basics. I have a B16 Transmission from my del sol as we speak & would love to use that but i'm going to be making close to or over 200whp after tuning & I don't feel too confident in the stock differntial. Does anyone know what exactly I would need in order to use my GSR LSD on my B16 transmission? ITR/GSR FD, so on...?

The stock diff will be fine at 200whp.

It's hard for me to explain ratios on a forum, but make yourself a spreadsheet with different gear reductions vs engine speeds and driveshaft outputs and you'll get the idea.

Back