Ls Tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicsi1415

Ok I have a 99 civic si and my tranny is going out so I was at first going to just do a motor swap but I have been convinced into just getting an ls tranny as a replacement.....Their are a couple of things I need help with: 1. Where would be the best place to get an ls tranny, and 2. Will I have to also get the ls axels and halfshaft or will me stock si axels and halfshaft work with the new tranny. Any help would be great, the sooner I get the tranny fixed the sooner I can boost it.

1. A local junkyard would be a good starting place to look for a tranny. You might want to go ahead and put a clutch/flywheel combo in when you do the swap.
2. I think the stock si axles will be fine with ls tranny.

well I would first figure out what exactly is "going out" on your tranny because it might be cheaper to replace that item. If you are going all motor you will want to stick with your gearing and not the LS's.

Milan

Originally posted by civicsi1415@Jun 12 2003, 03:00 PM
Any help would be great, the sooner I get the tranny fixed the sooner I can boost it.

The longer gears in the ls tranny are better for boost.

Please lets not start this longer gearing better for boost stuff. As far as I am concerned I read both articles from both NA and FI camps.

Milan

Well my third gear syncro is bacicly gone........to get it fixed is going to be about 400 for the parts if its only the syncro and probably 800 for labore unless I take the tranny out my self. So I figure it would just be cheaper to get an ls if it will work I will be boosting it if I can go the ls rought.....i have been told that the ls tranny has the same gearing as the GSR just with a longer final....is that true.......will the ls just drop in or will I have to get new axels and half shafts and shift linkage......also when I purchase a clutch and flywheel will I need ls ones or si ones. Thanks any hepl you guys/girls could give me would be great!!!!!!

Clutch and flywheel would be LS. The LS and GSR have the same first gear and maybe second but 3rd through fifth are all different. I would go with your SI tranny. Maybe a GSR. Even if you are boosting. The LS tranny will be slower unless you are putting down ALOT of power.

I posted a while back a link to tranny gearing. If you do a search it should come up.

Milan

theres an article on the reference page that has all of the tranny gearings on it

Back