LS/Vtec or GSR?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys. I have a GSR motor but the crank needs to be polished (spun a bearing). I've been thinking of buying a B18A/B block and doing a LS/Vtec using the head, girdle, oil pan, pick-up, etc as I also have rods and a crank from a B18B. I was also wondering if I could use the B18B internals in the GSR block with P30 pistons? I am thinking there will be a clearance problem somewhere?

My question is whether this can be done with little to no modification or with a combination of the GSR and B18B components? Also, is it worth it, or should I just get the GSR crank on the go and put the GSR motor back together?

I did as much searching as I could on this but couldn't find a straight answer. Any input would be great.

Thanks

With the GSR block with LS internals everything should be clear assuming the head and block are still at stock specs (no milling or anything). Compression wise you'll be looking at around 11.7 (GSR block, pr4 rods, LS crank, P30 pistons) if you go with that set up you'll definatly want to run a 3 layer OEM gasket as far as height goes .030 or .035 I don't remember. If you do the same internal setup but with the LS block I don't think you'll clear the valves. For reliability I'd go with the GSR block LS crank/rods with p73-A0 (USDM type R pistons) with the GSR head. CR for thats about 11.25 if you want more than that you could mill the head or run a thinner head gasket. but 11.25 is reliable and still runs alright on pump gas.

I'd just build the gsr if you already have the block. Just get the crank milled to spec, and rebuild. It's more revable than an ls setup, and like you already said, you have the parts. Go get some good forged pistons and you're good to go. I built an LS, but that is because I have an LS. I can tell you that 11.5:1 compression does NOT like 91 octane gas. If you have 93+ where you are at, you'll be fine, but if not, limit yourself to around 11:1 to keep from retarding the ignition. However, the cool thing about running the high compression and retarding it for pump gas is that you can tune for higher octane gas at the track, and tear it up. I'm trying to get my buddy with a WRX to go in on a 55gallon drum of 100 octane unleaded. anyway. that's my .02

the ls or gsr part dont just fit together in the block. ls crank wont just drop into the gsr block. search for ls crank in gsr block on honda-tech

Quoted post[/post]]
I'd just build the gsr if you already have the block. Just get the crank milled to spec, and rebuild. It's more revable than an ls setup, and like you already said, you have the parts. Go get some good forged pistons and you're good to go. I built an LS, but that is because I have an LS. I can tell you that 11.5:1 compression does NOT like 91 octane gas. If you have 93+ where you are at, you'll be fine, but if not, limit yourself to around 11:1 to keep from retarding the ignition. However, the cool thing about running the high compression and retarding it for pump gas is that you can tune for higher octane gas at the track, and tear it up. I'm trying to get my buddy with a WRX to go in on a 55gallon drum of 100 octane unleaded. anyway. that's my .02

Yeah, I am limited by the octane around my parts. I want to run a little higher compression over the stock GSR but still be able to rev around 8500 - 9000. I was thinking about running the P30's on the GSR internals but I'm pretty sure it won't work. I suppose I could run a thinner head gasket on the GSR to get a little higher compression. Thanks for the input guys, gives me more to consider.

Or just get forged rods and pistons. Your potential setups are unlimited, and you'll have a much stronger rotating assembly.

Quoted post[/post]]
the ls or gsr part dont just fit together in the block. ls crank wont just drop into the gsr block. search for ls crank in gsr block on honda-tech

yes you can...you need to do one of these
1. remove oil squirters
2. bend oil squirters
3. knife edge the crank

and maybe other machining stuff...but it can be done...island motorsports had/has a 4dr white integra with a knife edged ls crank in a gsr block

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

1. remove oil squirters
2. bend oil squirters
3. knife edge the crank

and maybe other machining stuff...but it can be done...island motorsports had/has a 4dr white integra with a knife edged ls crank in a gsr block
i dont think he was arguing that it couldnt fit. i think he meant it wasnt a bolt up procedure. modification is needed. and yea my friend has one in his built gsr eg hatch.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

1. remove oil squirters
2. bend oil squirters
3. knife edge the crank

i dont think he was arguing that it couldnt fit. i think he meant it wasnt a bolt up procedure. modification is needed. and yea my friend has one in his built gsr eg hatch.

How does he find it compard to a stock GSR? Does he have any other LS internals other than the crank, rods and pistons more specifically?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

1. remove oil squirters
2. bend oil squirters
3. knife edge the crank

How does he find it compard to a stock GSR? Does he have any other LS internals other than the crank, rods and pistons more specifically?
im only sure that he has the crank. but it was a built motor that he bought. it might even be decked.

i wasnt saying it couldnt be done but i was making sure he knew it wasnt just a swap over the part type of thing.

Back