ls/vtec or gsr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

and i bet that b20 is slow as balls. Even with b16 cams any lsvtec whether 1.8 or 2.0 is faster than the b20. Your friend must have fucked that lsvtec up.

is it busted?

So you think ls/vtecs are good then?? Mine has been run HARD this past summer and still runs great. If you build it right it will be fine. Have you ever visited The Old One - Energy Dynamics ???? Go learn how to properly build a 2.0 or b18a/b block.

i told you he might just be agreeing with others that have no clue what they are doing.:ph34r: Now he's agreeing with us.

i told you he might just be agreeing with others that have no clue what they are doing.:ph34r: Now he's agreeing with us.
No I agreeed with blanco's statement, I personally think ls/vtec's are crap! & FYI my buddy didnt build it he bought it off someone so their's no telling how it was built! As for me since I drive nomally smaller honda's (CRX) I like zc's or b16's. & any motor can be built right but it didnt sound like this guy was gonna build it sounds like he's just looking to buy a motor! P.S. Im happy your ls/vtec runs good but it dont make me want to build one I'd rather go turbo gsr in the 96ek

you've never seen them built right. Or you just don't know and your re stating other peoples claims.

I had 2 lsvtecs. and i have seen many turboed ones making good power with no problems. Its all in how you put it together. People just dont realize how important it is. You dont just slap a vtec head and go to town. My first lsvtec had pr3 pistons and gsr cams. it made more power than a gsr by far and lasted through 2 owners who beat the living shit out of it for 6yrs. Not to mention they were running obd 0 with a stock pw0 ecu. oh and stock water and oil pumps. Yes its a miracle but imagine how much longer they would last if you just take the extra precuations and build it RIGHT.

I vote gsr since you have no idea what you want and def. have no building or Honda engine knowledge. I say not just to say it. i say it by what you have been posting.

Stop posting and start reading!!!!!!!!!!
If he dont know what he wants this is the best advice anyone can give him! their's no point in putting money into somthing your not gonna build right or just gonna be testing theorys on just get motor and start from there gsr or b20
but in this guys case not an ls/vtec unless one of you that have done it put it together for him!

It's an engine. It's no different than building a D16Z6. You just have to know what you're doing. Any engine can be rebuilt poorly and blow up, even a stock rebuild on a bone stock D16. People just don't take the time to learn. They think that doing research is only for book worms and that real men jump right in without any instructions. Those are the people who come back halfway through their project to ask questions they should've already known the answers to. Then, they come back with a blown engine and blame the engine. Do the damn research people!
I second this, unfortunately from personal experience.

and just for my .02 on motor stuff, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that when you boost a car, the idea is to have a LOW stock compression, because when you're in boost, your compression rises. So if when not in boost, you're at say 8.5:1, and under boost, you jump to maybe 13:1, that's a 4.5 increase in your compression. Now say you build an All motor car and decide to slap a turbo on it. You're compression will probably be around 11:1 at the least, probably more, so with that same turbo, that puts you to 15.5:1. So unless you plan on building an all motor car and spending a lottt of money, and then slapping on a probe turbo and running 1psi, you're no good.

And to further the LS/Vtec stuff, my brother bought a car with a fully built ls/v in it. With it came all the receipts from everything on the car, and dyno sheets. According to the sheets, the car puts down 196 whp, he didn't believe it so he had it tested again, and it put down 194 whp. I don't remember the tq so don't ask. These are good numbers, but when you look at the numbers compared to the engine component prices on the receipts, you almost want to gag. The guy who built the car, including the tune spent almost $10k, for a small 196 whp. I could think of 10,000 better ways to spend $10k on a motor than on 196 hp.

Last edited:
If your looking to get rid of your LS MOTOR....Please sell it to me complete....depends where you are located...I only local pick up.....thanks

Dont need harness

your in the wrong threads, nowhere do I see "For Sale is my LS motor that I'd like to sell complete to someone who only picks up and doesn't need the harness," or anything else "for-sale"ish.

No I agreeed with blanco's statement, I personally think ls/vtec's are crap! & FYI my buddy didnt build it he bought it off someone so their's no telling how it was built! As for me since I drive nomally smaller honda's (CRX) I like zc's or b16's. & any motor can be built right but it didnt sound like this guy was gonna build it sounds like he's just looking to buy a motor! P.S. Im happy your ls/vtec runs good but it dont make me want to build one I'd rather go turbo gsr in the 96ek

ok so you bought it off of someone....sucked and you assumed all lsvtec's are crap? i'm arguing what you tell me here. any way I've had 5 crx in the past. I just sold my last 2 my lsvtec one was the best hands down......why? because of the torque. I raced a jdm gsr hatch the same year as mine and walked hime like no other. It was sad. so sad i gave up after 2nd gear.

I agree with you on what his best choices are. But understand that i have to defend the motor that helped me put and ass whipping on may cars. including turboed gsr's. :eek:

YES BLANCO is right that all motor is expensive. But the throttle response that you get from an allmotor beast you'll never feel from a turbo. 200 all motor hp is fun as hell. I would take that over turbo any day. anything beyond that hell yeah turboes are better.

Last edited:
ok so you bought it off of someone....sucked and you assumed all lsvtec's are crap? i'm arguing what you tell me here. any way I've had 5 crx in the past. I just sold my last 2 my lsvtec one was the best hands down......why? because of the torque. I raced a jdm gsr hatch the same year as mine and walked hime like no other. It was sad. so sad i gave up after 2nd gear.

I agree with you on what his best choices are. But understand that i have to defend the motor that helped me put and ass whipping on may cars. including turboed gsr's. :eek:

YES BLANCO is right that all motor is expensive. But the throttle response that you get from an allmotor beast you'll never feel from a turbo. 200 all motor hp is fun as hell. I would take that over turbo any day. anything beyond that hell yeah turboes are better.

Ok Tac, But I dont care what you ran or what motor it was,you dont have to defend anything unless you fell affended!!! Everyone is intitled to their own fellings So I dont like ls/vtec's big deal thats my choice and no I didn't buy one nor would I build one why cause thats me but from what I've read this post aint about me it's about someone asking a question on what they should get I say GSR it or B20 I dont think this guy is gonna do a ls/vtec right and thats my point!! Now if you want to take this converstaion any further then know this Im the owner of a small company that does PnP,Costom Intakes sys's,Costom lighting & much more Im a costom parts designer it's about making the parts & to me idk how you run them I only care if it works & works good + Im about to put out parts that only me & my company know about on a car that noone has done nothing to but motor swamp so if you wanna see progress check my myspace cause if you aint racing pro or for pinks Whats in the streets? P.S. Hope I didn't affend anyone this is trully my my thoughts and my thoughts only, so dont take it personal state your opinion or the facts!!! FYI Read the post fully I never said ls/vtecs were bad if you got time to do it do it right if you dont there horrible & thats no lie!!!!:cool:

A agree with you that if you have the time to build an ls/vtec right they are good but if you don't and do it half assed then they aren't great.

Ok Tac, But I dont care what you ran or what motor it was,you dont have to defend anything unless you fell affended!!! Everyone is intitled to their own fellings So I dont like ls/vtec's big deal thats my choice and no I didn't buy one nor would I build one why cause thats me but from what I've read this post aint about me it's about someone asking a question on what they should get I say GSR it or B20 I dont think this guy is gonna do a ls/vtec right and thats my point!! Now if you want to take this converstaion any further then know this Im the owner of a small company that does PnP,Costom Intakes sys's,Costom lighting & much more Im a costom parts designer it's about making the parts & to me idk how you run them I only care if it works & works good + Im about to put out parts that only me & my company know about on a car that noone has done nothing to but motor swamp so if you wanna see progress check my myspace cause if you aint racing pro or for pinks Whats in the streets? P.S. Hope I didn't affend anyone this is trully my my thoughts and my thoughts only, so dont take it personal state your opinion or the facts!!! FYI Read the post fully I never said ls/vtecs were bad if you got time to do it do it right if you dont there horrible & thats no lie!!!!:cool:

I'm not trying to be offensive, and I do agree with you to some extent, but if you are the owner of such a successful business, wouldn't you think that you'd have a little bit better grammer, or at least better spelling? Food for thought: offend, not affend

here's a seemingly worthy question, which build on the ls/vtec would end up gettin better gas mileage as a DD?

An ls/vtec is and ls/vtec, it doesn't matter how you build it. Its the tranny that will have the greatest effect on fuel economy, unless that is if you are using high lift cams but an ls/vtec with stock cams and an ls tranny would give you the best fuel economy for highway cruising.

LS/VTEC's ARE HORRIBLE if the LS motor was supposed to be VTEC Honda would have made it that way I don't mess with the frankistine's TMP(too many problems)

I never said ls/vtecs were bad if you got time to do it do it right if you dont there horrible & thats no lie!!!!:cool:

i only argue what you post. that was the first thing you said about lsvtec's what the hell was i supposed to think. yes you are entitled to your opinion about lsvtecs. I dont like H22's. what ever. But i'm not gonna bash them and say they suck when i know there some fast h22 swaps out there that have lasted along tme.

and no i wasnt offended, I just wanted to correct you on the point that if lsvtec's suck its always builder/driver error....hell any engine for that matter.

I'm done lets get back on the subject since we both agree he shouldn't get and lsvtec:D I vote b16 or gsr if he has the money.

Last edited:
Wrongo. How you build it matters a great deal. Unless, by build, you mean aftermarket. When I say build, I mean actual assembly.

Well I meant 9.5:1 compression vs 11:1 compression etc. You can't build a piece of crap engine that has tons of piston slap and burns oil and expect it to get very good fuel economy. So you still need to build the engine well. What I meant to say was that what gets you better fuel economy is your tranny for the most part unless you use high lift cams and have a fully built engine. If you have a fully built engine it will get worse fuel economy than a stock honda vtec head.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself properly.

Basically:
Built engines have worse fuel economy than stock engines, built being upgraded with more than just bolt ons.

blanco: i've always liked what you have to say... as for this project, i have two words of personal advice: a car is for driving, and a tuned naturally aspirated honda is a blast to drive. less talking/thinking and more action. start by getting any motor swapped and go from there. i think even a stock b20 or ls/vtec would be a lot of fun in a beautiful older integra. from there you start to build. you seem like the type of guy who wants instant gratification... slow down and start working.

another thing on the subject of driving and owning a car... to me a car is a wholistic tool for fun and without the balance of looks/handling/power/personality the car just leaves something to be desired. i personally have a hard time enjoying a car that can go really fast off the line but is lacking in all other areas. the business idea of k.i.s.s. (keep it simple silly) can be applied so often and i hope that despite my criticism i am actually encouraging you to start working. :)

Back