1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ls Vtec Over Heating

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by ls_vtec_b18a1, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ls_vtec_b18a1

ls_vtec_b18a1 Junior Member

my ls vtec over heats with a thermostat in it, i have tried 3 different ones and they all over heat. i got a new water pump and a new rad. even when over heating i do not get heat threw the vents and im am bleeding the bleed screw in the system. could my autometer gauge be missed up cause it seems to get foggy when the car over heats to like 220 and the thermo's are 180. the water in the rad gets hott like the thermo is opening. whats going on here. Does not over heat with u run it with out a thermo.

2. toknology

toknology Junior Member

waz up very sorry about your miss hap.i just finished my ls vtec there are some mods to do with cooly hose some dont have do same hose routing.from your heater core you use aftermarket heater hose because factory are prebent to fit perfect routing .please try that and halla back i am a honda technician if that matters

3. cws13

cws13 Senior Member

If you aren't getting heat that means you have air pockets in the system. If they are in the heater core, they can be very hard to get out. try pulling off a coolant hose that curves highest in the engine bay, pull it off and put a funnel with coolant in the hose itself -reverse bleeding the system. Careful around that heater core, very easy to destroy. That little bleeder nut doesn't work for shit.

4. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

did anyone understand that?

5. cws13

cws13 Senior Member

know igh dudn't

6. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

Like I said, we need a Literacy checker before you post, at least. At best a literacy test in the registration. :)

7. 1_deuceracing

1_deuceracing Member

8. MACspeed

MACspeed Junior Member

First thing to do is look at the radiator you do have. If you still have a stock LS radiator that may be the prob. When i dropped a GS-R into my civic, I just used an automatic civic radiator, its got a much thicker core. I have no problems with heat. Make sure your temp sensor is working (check the voltage **do not use an ohmeter or you will fry your computer**).

9. ls_vtec_b18a1

ls_vtec_b18a1 Junior Member

well guys here the low down when i put a thermostat in the car it heats up pretty quick and i bleed the system and water and air comes out. when i run it with out the thermostat it still warms to 180 but takes a while. this happens while parked and running not driving and has did this sicne i put it together. it has all new parts but the car did sit for 2 years before i got it so could it be the heat core cause i get no heat even when running hot thanks guys

10. Canuck 93 Civic Si

Canuck 93 Civic Si Senior Member

Your overheating and you dont get much hot water for windshield defrost? If all of this is true, congratulations, you have a blown head gasket :eek: . Exhaust gasses are blowing past the gasket and into you coolant, thus creating pockets of air in you coolant system. The same thing happened to me a while ago.

11. civicSiR1

civicSiR1 Senior Member

are you SURE you didn't plug the oil line for VTEC, or did you PLUGGED the water jacket?

12. toknology

toknology Junior Member

does the fan come on?and what i meant was the hoses could be bent giving no or lil circulation.good luck

13. hybrid hatch

hybrid hatch Junior Member

do you have a block guard that can cause overheating as well

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted