1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ls/vtec reliability....

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by digital_toad, Jun 29, 2003.

1. digital_toad

digital_toad Member

Ok this question has probably been asked a thousand times before, but its my money and I wanted to ask for myself. Im looking into making my 95 Integra GSR SEDAN into an ls/vtec. I know where I can pick up a b18a for $500 and I want to know if its worth it to build this block for the swap, or to save my money for a built b18c block from www.importbuilders.com

Ive just now started seeing alot about this company and I want to know if there block packages are worth my money or if it would be better for me to put the money into an ls/vtec. Thanx again for your time everyone......your help is greatly appreciated.

2. saturn_boy96

saturn_boy96 88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R

if you already have a gsr motor, then stick with that. get the block bored to 84mm or more and you will produce way more power than switching to an ls block.

the gsr block is one of the best blocks to start with. or if you really want the extra displacement then just put an ls crank in the gsr block.

later.

3. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

ya, it would be a total waste to toss the gsr bock for an ls block, build the one you have

4. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

If your going all motor swap out to an ITR tranny and sell your gsr tranny online, if you are just going crazy for the extra displacement do what the boys said up top, bigger sleeves with bigger pistons and you can have an almost 2.0 liter depending on your internal specs.

Milan

5. Tre

Tre Member

either way you are buying a new block right?

6. mattcalica

mattcalica Senior Member

yah, the gsr block is waaaaay better for any ap than the LS...for one, you dont have to make your own oil lines and bore out holes for the head, and two it comes with oil squirters and a block girdle. stick with the gsr.

7. digital_toad

digital_toad Member

So what does everyone think about www.importbuilders.com work? I know they do alot of different things with resleeving and block building. Is it worth me sending my block to them. Don't know of many places around here that do that stuff.

8. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

I have no personal experience with IB, but I hear good things about them.

Instead of an LSVTEC, why not run an LS crank and rods in the GSR block? You keep all the goodies in the GSR + you get a little longer stroke.

9. SFPracing

SFPracing Senior Member

I'm gonna be working at SFP and we can build you a nasty motor. Email me if you're interested and I can get you a quote. If you're not aware they make 660hp on their Civic very reliably. Nice stuff.

10. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

Jeff at IB knows his shit. Ask B about his work. Places that do good work also includes RS, Ericks racing, aebs. etc.

Milan

11. halcyon985

halcyon985 Senior Member

Hey guys question along these lines... and I know i'll get hell for this, as ls/vtec has a big following, but doesn't it mess things up to put a vtec head on a non vtec bottom end? My friend geoff had a similar setup (although not with an ls bottom) a non vtec bottom with a vtec head. The car was fast as shit, but he couldnt get it inspected because the emissions were totally fucked, and the car kept breaking. He swears its because you shouldn't put vtec heads on anything non vtec, which makes sense in a way, but I just wanted to hear your opinions on it, since you know a hell of a lot more about it all then I do. Thanks!

12. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

i like my lsvtec setup.

13. halcyon985

halcyon985 Senior Member

How long have you had it? Any reliability issues? What kind of emmisions standards do you have to go through? Just curious,

14. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

My friend's LSVTEC had no problems passing the CO emissions (exhaust sniffer, and a mild visual).

I have had my current build for ~7000 miles. No issues yet.

15. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

My input here... 45k miles on my B20/VTEC, no aftermarket parts in the engine except pistons/rods/ARP hardware. That's it. Revved to 8500 every day, no problems. I don't worry about emissions.

:lol:

16. SFPracing

SFPracing Senior Member

I'd imagine his problems were specific to something to do with his car, not hybrid builds in general.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted