LS/VTEC RELIABILITY ??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsvs are da bomb i love mine and i love stomping on gsrs all day long ;)

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Mar 22 2005, 08:26 PM-->
brian11to1
@Mar 22 2005, 09:58 AM
Do it right the first time you'll be ok.
[post=477035]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

you say you won't be revving above 7000, so you shouldn't have any issues beyond what a normal LS is capable of handling.
[post=477378]Quoted post[/post]​

i concure, you should be great, if you take car of it, it will last you long time, good luck, its all about how you car for your motor, my 2 cents :lol:

seems alot of people are making power winding d series motors up well over 7000 rpms, but then again it seems alot of people with ls/vtecs spin bearings over 7k.

notice the girdle over the bottom of a d series block, and notice the absense of it on an LS block, you take an LS over 7k with no stud girdle, ya the bearings will be shot.

if you plan on taking an ls/vtec over 7k(they dont make too much power after 7500 from what i have seen dyno'd), get a stud girdle for your main bearings and i'd consider some aftermarket rods.

Not that this has anything to do with the absense of oil squirters, but i thought it was a pretty good point considering this is a topic on an ls/vtec build. ;)

Beerbongskickass said, "Why wouldn't you rev it over 7000 rpms? That's the whole point of getting the vtec head, rev higher and make more power. Build it right and rip it to 8-8.5k rpms and stop being a pussy." :lol:

Dont play roulette with your motor man, you will be sorry. <_<

umm no, again you dont need a girdle to rev high either. stop spreading this wrong info. the girlde does help but in no way is it a necessity. Calesta had a b20 vtec that he wound out to 8500+ routinely for 45k+ miles.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 19 2005, 09:28 PM
umm no, again you dont need a girdle to rev high either. stop spreading this wrong info. the girlde does help but in no way is it a necessity. Calesta had a b20 vtec that he wound out to 8500+ routinely for 45k+ miles.
[post=488934]Quoted post[/post]​

did i say you need it? no i didnt, at all. btw, did this b20 have any block work done to be going up to 8500? seems a lil high for a motor that revs around 6 heh.

yea it had block work, new rods and new pistons. but thats besides the point since you made it sound like a girdle was the key to revving high. and i was just saying that it wasnt.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 19 2005, 09:51 PM
yea it had block work, new rods and new pistons. but thats besides the point since you made it sound like a girdle was the key to revving high. and i was just saying that it wasnt.
[post=488943]Quoted post[/post]​

na its not the key at all, but it does help if you plan on doing it alot if you care about your main bearings. just what i've seen so far...

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 19 2005, 06:28 PM
[post=488934]Quoted post[/post]​

i'm just curious, not trying to pick a fight or anything, but if a girdle isn't nessessary, why!! did honda engineers design it for the motor in the first place?
like i said just curious, thanks

a girdle will help in longevity of the crank/ bearing an all there of- but it is as said not nec. my freinds ls built from all stock parts is at its 50k and still running strong no girdle. well have to see how long it last since he went turbo now !

Originally posted by b204dr@Apr 20 2005, 08:00 AM
a girdle will help in longevity of the crank/ bearing an all there of- but it is as said not nec. my freinds ls built from all stock parts is at its 50k and still running strong no girdle. well have to see how long it last since he went turbo now !
[post=489146]Quoted post[/post]​

so, if it helps the longevity of the crank and bearings, and all there of- would it not help to improve the longevity of a lsvtec? granted your friends lsvtec has lasted 50k, thats cool, but wouldn't last longer if it had one verses not having one?

if i had 50k in an lsv it would include a gsr girdle but im poor so its not #1 on my list....1.2k miles and runing stong....i might buy some ctr pistons, so ill check the bearings to see if anything happened to them....

i was referring to formby, i know you knew.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 20 2005, 01:20 PM
he means 50000 miles not dollars
[post=489181]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: correct if he had 50k into a car i sure hope it wouldnt be a honda- money wise he has spent 5k on his motor and 2k chassis - not to bad for a 12.9 1/4 mile car !

Originally posted by formby@Apr 20 2005, 09:04 AM
if i had 50k in an lsv it would include a gsr girdle but im poor so its not #1 on my list....1.2k miles and runing stong....i might buy some ctr pistons, so ill check the bearings to see if anything happened to them....
[post=489171]Quoted post[/post]​

why didn't you save the extra money and wait to buy the girdle to do it right? or if you put those pistons in, buy girdle, for longevity.

Originally posted by b204dr+Apr 20 2005, 10:03 AM-->
@Apr 20 2005, 01:20 PM
he means 50000 miles not dollars
[post=489181]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: correct if he had 50k into a car i sure hope it wouldnt be a honda- money wise he has spent 5k on his motor and 2k chassis - not to bad for a 12.9 1/4 mile car !
[post=489211]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol:

Back