Made the LONG journey, 1600miles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
Some of you may know that I was getting ready to goto Canada with the Turbo Honda, but then the rad blew a hole and the next day was the clutch. After hustling everything together and putting only 50 miles on the car without any issues, I decided to say fuck it and go for the trip!

WELL, it made it like a friggin champ, I was shocked to be honest. The only issue I had was the downpipe bolts coming loose and I had a exhaust leak, but I brought a bunch of tools and fixed it right up.

We went to the dyno up there too, but I was having boost issues. After I pulled off of the dyno the guy handed me a nut&washer, it was the downpipe bolt. I thought it was weird that I wasnt holding boost all the way to redline. SO my top end power suffered greatly from the boost dropping off like a rock.

I did make over 200wtq from 3K to 4500, peak being 245. HP was a low 175whp :( I'm going back to a dyno tomorrow or the day after to get some vindication!!!:cool:

Last edited:
sounds good, hopefully a new wastegate will fix your problem (not holding boost)

those numbers are wack... you shouldn't be making that much more torque... port the head or something... whats your ignition map looking like up top?

Thats another thing too. We were running way over in time on the dyno so I didnt get to use double the runs like I was originally going to pay for. When the boost started falling off, I advanced timing. It did pick up the top end, but then I fixed the exhaust leak and the boost falloff wasnt happening anymore. SO, I may bring the timing back a lil bit now since I'm holding strong to redline.

I'm hoping and praying to get back to the dyno today. I'm not very happy with the HP numbers, but I do realize it was a leak and a lil more timing tuning.

I've also seemed to go passed the ability of my 6psi actuator. Sometimes when I change gears quick, in a race or something similar, the boost will fluctuate for a second and then shoot up to my target boost level. I removed the rod from the flapper and threaded it back a bit putting some more preload on the spring, its seemed to help a lot. Im going to bring it back another turn or 2 and hopefully the problem is all gone.

^Cant say I disagree, but I want to at least see what this does when everything is all tightened up and running normal. I have a dyno appointment on Monday, that was the soonest I could get on there :)

it cost me 20 for 4 pulls.

The local guy is 30 or 40 and hour, I forget to be honest.

maybe its so cheap cause he has his own wideband and equipment?

I know the kid locally, we were in the same graduating class. PLUS, hes not tuning it, just using the dyno itself.

still mad cheap. usually its 3 pulls for 65-75 bucks, no a/f or anything.

200 by the hour, with multiple hours billed lower....

I consider myself lucky then :)

The dyno in Canada was 100/hr, 20 cars made it 20/car in the end.

beaterdyno.jpg

ouch....thats a crazy ass dyno...either the turbo is way too small or you need a new waste gate.

LMAO, read the 1st post, my downpipe was leaking like a SOB and my boost dropped off from 4500ish on. Went from 9-10psi to 6. Monday night will be much better. Prolly 210ish for hp and a couple more tq. Then I plan on running on my high setting and doing some pulls.

Back