Milky White?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Magik

What does it mean when inside the oil cap it is milky white? Someone told me once but I can't remember for the life of me?...

Jason

Its called blow-by and it is caused by worn valve seals and\or head gasket problems.

Doh! (That sounds expensive)

Ok...that's a place to start...

Next question...this thing has a really odd idle (first day driving it). When I'm just sitting there with the engine on it will 'rev' on it's own??? Like I was lightly touching the gas and letting off of it...over and over...

Suggestions?

Jason

Nope...actually there is no stereo in it at all right now...haven't transfered it from my smashed STD into the Si yet...

Originally posted by xyswany@Dec 3 2003, 07:27 PM
do a compression check on it, that will tell you if it is a gasket, rings, cracked head or otherwise. as for your idle look here. https://hondaswap.com/articles/viewer.php?id=55

That is great...but it may have to go to the shop...because that sounds out of my league...I'm still learning...(let the noob flames burn me) but I'm getting there...

Is it harmful to drive it like this? (Until I can get it to the garage?)

Jason

Nah it should be alright, mines doing it aswell, my engine revs up to 3k and slowly winds itself down when i first start it, but i am guessing it is because it is so cold here.

1. milky white gunk in your oil cap indicates moisture in your oil. could be nothing, or it could be a blown head gasket. if you are getting white smoke (after the car has been warmed up, not just steam) that would be a giveaway.

2. blow-by would create black smoke and not have anything to do with moisture in the oil.

3. the idle problem might possibly indicate a blown head gasket, but not necessarily. could be alot of other things. see the FAQ.

4. your car revving at 3k when u start it cold is normal.

If you want to see if its the headgasket a guick and simple test would be to let hte car cool completely down... then remove radiator cap, and start motor, let it warm up and if bubbles are visible from the spout then the headgasket is blown.

Definatly moisture in the oil like crxtunerfan says....up here in the frozen north we see that alot from condensation of blowby gasses during the winter...we shorten oilchange intervals to combat this. Change oil and see if it shows up again.

Pappy

Originally posted by crxtunerfan@Dec 3 2003, 06:54 PM
4. your car revving at 3k when u start it cold is normal.

3k is way too high for cold start, more like 1.5-2k is normal.

Originally posted by steelbuster@Dec 3 2003, 08:27 PM
Definatly moisture in the oil like crxtunerfan says....up here in the frozen north we see that alot from condensation of blowby gasses during the winter...we shorten oilchange intervals to combat this. Change oil and see if it shows up again.

Pappy

When you say frozen north...where are you?

Also...should blow-by be happening? I thought BB was a 'bad' thing?

Jason

I've done my fair shair of head gaskets, and usually this is the typical sign. Well actually 95% of the time, this is a symptom of a blown headgasket.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Dec 3 2003, 09:49 PM
I've done my fair shair of head gaskets, and usually this is the typical sign. Well actually 95% of the time, this is a symptom of a blown headgasket.

Is a head gasket a "MAJOR" job if you've never done one before...is this something that should be attempted in that case? I sthis something that can be done in a day?
Also is a head gasket a major expense?

Someone suggested that it would be blown Piston Rings? (former owner of car...he didn't know what was wrong)

Jason

Not really that tough. You have to remove the head but that's about it.

A gasket set can run you anywhere from 30-100 bucks easy. Then you usually want to spray it with that copper stuff(don't know the name) but it isn't too tough.

IT should be feasible in a day though, it really matters on what you have for tools, room, air, and your skill.

Myself, I could probably do one in 8 hours, but that's because I take my time and I'm slow as hell, and have shit for tools, so if I go fast I would snap probably a good amount. I've never done one alone though.

Slammed (or anyone) What "tools" do you need?

GSRCRXsi (or anyone) Where are you when you say North?

GSRCRXsi (or anyone) My car does not go to 3k on a cold start it's at about 1500, now one thing I did notice it doing this morning was I'd rev the car up (3K) and release the gas...it would slowly wind down...when it hit about 1800 it would suddenly drop to around 1400 and continue winding down slowly to 1K??? WTF???
Also...in most gears it is sitting at around 3K when driving...ie., I was driving to work this morning in 5th gear and was steadily at 3-3200rpm at about 110kph / 70mph (most of our highway speed around here ar 100-110 kph / 62-68mph)

199IntegraBuildUpH22A3 (or anyone) I did the rad cap thing this morning as you suggested when I started it to warm it up (it was -11C / 12F), I left the rad cap off for about 10-15min and then checked again...no bubbles. The gauge was saying the car was just beginning to warm up.

Got a new one for everyone:

Driving down the highway...turn wheel to right...get a loud HUM like a tire rubbing, when I turn back straight it goes away? What is this?...alignment?

Thanks for all of you help guys!

Jason

Its not hard to do its just a pain in the ass cux you gotta take the exhaust mani off and the intake mani. it sucked on my 89 civic cuz all the exhaust bolts were rusted to shit and the exh. mani didnt wanna slide off besides that it was easy and you'll only probly need some sockets, a ratchet, extentions, gasket scraper for aluminum, torque wrench, and some other shit thats not to hard to find have fun.

sincerly,
captin run on sentances B)

Back