Mini Me or B18 LS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
so, questions here
just looking for opinions for now...

so i have a 91 std civic hatch, was DPFI 4 speed, 176K miles, with a/c...

is now DPFI, 5 speed, 105K miles still with a/c
A/c is important so it needs to be retained...

now my question is, if you were in my shoes would you go with a SOHC vtec head on the stock block, or would you do the B series swap...

I'm thinking about $$ to HP numbers here...
which ever motor i choose will eventually be getting a turbo as well...
the B series has lots of turbo and vtec head swap potential...

but if i do a mini me, all i need is vtec wiring and MPFI conversion, and that supossedely makes 135 horse power, more with a shaved head, but then higher compression which is not so good for a turbo...

the motor in the car now is not stock, stock had 175K and smoked REAL bad... new motor had 105K and WAS mint, then the timing belt popped, and now it ticks and knocks and smokes and all that good shit...

so i'm assuming the damage is just in the head, and that the lower end is still solid enough for a turbo and vtec head swap...

so what do you guys think?

the b series swap would be done with a smacked up integra running betwee 300 and 500, but then i still need MPFI conversion and mount kit and axles and cable trans if the car doesn't have one...

and the mini me is said to be able to make power to 8K rpm's which would be GREAT with a turbo...

Well I had the same situations not to long ago. And then I killed cylinder #3 and its b18 for me :D. I'll be able to tell you which is faster in a few weeks because I have a friend who is about to do a mini-me into his hatch and I'm about to do my swap into my crx. Of course mine is much more expensive than his but I'm buying all more stuff than he is

I would go with the B18A/B swap. The engine is stronger- though not anywhere near 1000 times stronger. The D15 rods are really weak, and can't really handle that much boost. If you go with a mild turbo setup though, you can still put out a decent amount of power on a D15 mini-me.

If your current engine already has some problems and you're not 100% sure what they are (you haven't taken it apart, so I'll assume you're not 100% sure), then I would recommend that you go ahead and just swap an entire engine, rather than gamble and hope that nothing is wrong with your block.

Yea, I'm gonna go with Calesta on this. What you should never do when going turbo is assume.. I have a block with a real big hole in it because I assumed everything was ok. Just my 2 cents, Chad.

i would say go B18, because of the power gains, but i don't think that you could keep the AC with the B series... i could be wrong...

Hasport makes a bracket that allows you to keep your A/C with a Bseries swap runs about 180 from their site i think

well, first, i know about the hasport ac mount, which is why i am even considering doing the b series swap... makes sense right?
but thanks for the info

now about the block...
i don't think popping a timing belt would have any effect on the rings, so i;m pretty sure when it popped it either bent a valve or tapped it enough to fuck with the oil seals...

so i'm thinking the lower end is ok, i its not then its another 50 bucks for a new block
lol...

i know the B is a long stronger, and i always advise people to go b over d any day, but i don't think its ecenomically feesable to go through all the work when i can just do a head swap...

again, just my opinion, but there is honestly no arguement that a b is a far superior motor... but something about winding a mini-me to 8K rpm with boost just makes my heart beat a little faster

niiiice

dood forget the d-series
i have been through

d15b1
d15b2
d15b7
d15b7 mini-me

complete total waist of money and time
i mean i had header intake exhaust MPFI swap and the like....all a waste......i now have a b16a, running a LS ecu, and it already has more power w/o vtec than any of the other setups.......

i mean i had header intake exhaust MPFI swap and the like....all a waste......i now have a b16a, running a LS ecu, and it already has more power w/o vtec than any of the other setups.......
Dude why arent you running VTEC. An ECU isnt that expensive. When my friends Civic hasnt warmed up yet it is way slower than when VTEC is engaging.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 11 2004, 10:47 AM
now about the block...
i don't think popping a timing belt would have any effect on the rings, so i;m pretty sure when it popped it either bent a valve or tapped it enough to fuck with the oil seals...

so you don't think bending a valve didn't hurt a piston???...

Back