more on the cr-z

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I guess that's the thing. I care more about all the benefits of being lightweight than I do govt. safety ratings. Better speed, better handling, better braking, better fuel economy, cheaper to build. All those great qualities are thrown right out the window for an extra star in the safety column of their brochure.
What's the probability of that extra weight saving your life? Slim to fucking none. The probabilities of those 2 extra layers of steel actually making a difference IF you get into an accident, and IF it's with a larger vehicle at high speeds, and IF it's a side impact are pretty astronomical. It seems we are all paying a pretty high price for a very slim probability.

Oh well, in America fear trumps common sense.

pretty much sums it up :(

and that last line is sig worthy

Better speed, better handling, better braking, better fuel economy, cheaper to build. All those great qualities are thrown right out the window for an extra star in the safety column of their brochure.
What's the probability of that extra weight saving your life? Slim to fucking none.

thats kind of what i was getting at
i guess people are too caught up on the safety ratings, making it more difficult to sell a car if its not "five star crash rated"

I don't like all this hate on the cr-z:( I'd try to defend it as much as I could, but I'd risk my job...So yea, the crx and 1st gen insight were light as hell. Ever see the safety ratings on either? Makes me think twice about ever owning one.

regarding the CRZ:

i was all kinds of gung-ho about getting a FTE job and then getting this car - until the EPA fuel ratings came out and i saw the retardedly huge communications dorsal fin on top. i was willing to look past the ditzy guppy face of a front end and pretend that the car looked enough like the concept car...but really they dumbed it down sooo far from the extreme lines of the concept car that i'm just...bah. they lost me. i'd rather dump $10k into making my CRX look and feel like a new car. who knows, maybe honda will refine the lines of the CRZ in a 2nd gen like they did with the CRX and i'll come around to it.

edit: i was looking for about 50mpg from this car - completely shocked at the low 30s number.

:shrug2:

regarding CRX safety:

i've never been hit sideways in a rex, but i have known for the 16+ years i've driven one that it'd probably be fatal if it ever happened - pretty sure that'd be the case in 80% of the cars out there. the concept of 'safety' on the road is a wishful thought. you are hopefully in control of your shit and driving your A game, and all you can do is stay out of the path of everyone else.

i did take it in the ass in a CRX while at a standstill from a bloated chevy malibu doing about 45mph, and was then rammed into the 80s model ford econoline van in front of me. none of my rex's glass shattered, and i walked out with a sore wrist (and a real itch to kill the bastard that hit me). safe or not, i'd take a crx all day long because it's basically a street legal go-cart that i can pretty much maintain by myself and afford to run. and its ass makes me smile every time i see it. :D

PS the CRZ ass does *not* have the same effect on me.

It seems we are all paying a pretty high price for a very slim probability. Oh well, in America fear trumps common sense.

Klyph for prez!

Last edited:
lol im gonna make a new one. i think your talking about the first one i made.

I didn't have time to do the 2009 civic front end but here is what id rather it look like.
if they slanted the ass end a put the new civic front end on it would be perfect in my eyes.

hondacrzconceptjpg2.jpg

orig
hondacrzconceptjpg3.jpg

they kept denying that it was supposed to be the new crx. now they are finally coming around and admitting it. so if its the new crx it has to have that slant to the ass end. also the front end they came up with looks horrible.

Last edited:
i disagree on the slanted ass end - it looks somewhat broken and sad (sorry). the orig. crz concept car had a nice sleek look to it, and an uplifted ass. nice flow. they should have just made it.

i disagree on the slanted ass end - it looks somewhat broken and sad (sorry). the orig. crz concept car had a nice sleek look to it, and an uplifted ass. nice flow. they should have just made it.

i agree.

sorry guys but the look just isn't enough of a crx for me. i guess we will have to deal with the crz... lol

The thing that ruined the look of the production version was the nose and ass stretched way out to fit the crash bars.

The thing that ruined the look of the production version was the nose and ass stretched way out to fit the crash bars.

i'm sure there will be enough after market support that will provide a decent bumper to shorten the front end.

really, this car isn't far off from being a home run.

mugen type kit, remove batteries, install turbo Fit turbo kit.

or wait until the si version comes out. :ph34r:

i'm sure there will be enough after market support that will provide a decent bumper to shorten the front end.

really, this car isn't far off from being a home run.

mugen type kit, remove batteries, install turbo Fit turbo kit.

or wait until the si version comes out. :ph34r:

wait for the si and then turbo... :D

wait for the si and then turbo... :D

meh, the si will be enough. no need to void the warranty when it will be quick enough. probably 99% of drivers wont push it to peak performance in stock form. no need to add power right away.

meh, the si will be enough. no need to void the warranty when it will be quick enough. probably 99% of drivers wont push it to peak performance in stock form. no need to add power right away.

true.

I'm going to kill B. I had an awesome post written up, and he fucked with the forum so it lost my login credentials.

SUmmary of what I remember:

Maybe this won't be as bad as it sounds. IMA will add power to the L15, which already has pretty nice power:weight ratio. The fit handles really well, and has decent power, even with 5 people in it. All honda has to do is break the 'hybrid != sporty' stereotype to open the financial floodgates, and then secure a spot in the sportyhybrid market. They *did* just stop making the s2000, which leaves an opening in their lineup for a RWD vehicle, who is to say it can't be a hybrid or full-electric.

Back