Motor Setup For Turbo

which one is best 4 turbo

• crv/tec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gsr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im looking to do a lsvtec turbo but before i start i just want to know which is better?

y may post your opinions

If you have the ls engine already then build it for boost. The bottome end parts should work with either a VTEC or non VTEC head so can add the head at your own disgression.

If you don't then go for a GSR. The things is building an LSVTEC for boost if you don't have the LS block already will cost as much as building a GSR for boost.

ls/vtec--is a gsr with a b16 head and 89mm crank
cr/vtec--sleeves dont like much boost
gsr-- already built ls/vtec with better r/s ratio
b16--too small

An LSVTEC is not a GSR with a B16 head and 89mm crank, the engines are very different.

Would you leave the R/S ratio alone. People keep throwing it around to sound like they know something. The difference between 1.54:1 and 1.58:1 is not signifcant unless you are trying to spin 10K+ RPM.

:withstupid:
if you want to talk about something that might actually effect something talk about the lack of oil squirters on the LS block

I would still choose the B20/VTEC. The sleeve strength is just as good as the LS... if you're talking about 14 vs 16 psi, then maybe the LS will hold better because it's thicker, but keep in mind that the manufacturing process (and the material) in the B20 sleeve is different, so it is just as strong.

If you're boosting to the point where you'll be making the B20 sleeve fail, you need to resleeve anyway, whether or not you're using the B20 block. Boost pressures and tuning that will make a stock B20 fail will kill a B18 also.

If you're running on the street and you're not seeing extreme levels of boost, then just go with the largest displacement base. You'll have more power to start with, and even more power under boost. Just build the engine right, and you'll be fine.

Which are also not really necessary even with Honda pistons/rods if you run NA. I think that forged pistons and good rods wouldn't need them even under boost.

No, you don't. Forged pistons/rods make the engine weather boost a lot better, even without oil squirters- but the squirters are still nice to have.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jun 5 2003, 03:54 PM
An LSVTEC is not a GSR with a B16 head and 89mm crank, the engines are very different.

dimensionally they are the same. the ls may lack some "accessories", but thats it.

sometimes you may have to rev past 10k to exploit the full potential of the engine, or you might miss a shift; put it in a lower gear and overrev it.

if you are going for high boost i would go for the resleeved gsr, but if you are using low boost i would use the b20/vtec. the gsr block already has the vtec which saves some time and hassle.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jun 5 2003, 01:39 PM
sometimes you may have to rev past 10k to exploit the full potential of the engine,

1. This is not the case unless you are running full race NA cams (as in bigger than the TODA spec C or even the Skunk2 Stage 3). Running a turbo you shouldn't need to rev past 10K. With a properly built system, you will see plenty of power below 10K.
2. What engine driven on the street regularly is going to rev past 10K? Even if your internals can handle the stress this is going to wear the engine out much faster than limiting yourself to 8 or 9K.
3. With the insignificant difference in RS ratio between B18A/B and B18C how much higher to do you figure you can rev the B18C than the B18A/B, not much.

or you might miss a shift; put it in a lower gear and overrev it.

So what? If you miss a shift it will kill a GSR engine just as quick. My advice is learn how to use a shifter properly.

so what should i do? i already have a ls block should i just bluild the ls/vtec for turbo or (if i can) trade my ls block for a gsr block and build that block and put and head on it? :eek: B) :rolleyes:

if you arleady have an LS, i say boost it as is.
sleeve the bottom end, build it up, etc etc... boost it up.

if and when you are unhappy, consider doing the vtec head swap.

why would you go through the trouble of making the engines vtec before turbo? Doesn nobody understand that vtec doesn't really matter in a turbo engine?

ls/t all the way

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Jun 11 2003, 12:23 PM
why would you go through the trouble of making the engines vtec before turbo? Doesn nobody understand that vtec doesn't really matter in a turbo engine?

ls/t all the way

im guessin mileage for a street car. turbo doesnt usually kick in till after the vtec switchover, so why not use low profile cams for regular driving.

heres my $.02

oil squirters are over rated...they add un-needed weight to the piston as it rotates...engines with suirters hardly run cooler than a engine without...if you wanna run that little bit cooler richen the mixture....

and if you have a LS block already, BUILD IT.
get a really good flowing head like a B16 or Ported LS and boost the shit out of it...i garuntee you like that :D

Back