motor swapping smog question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allgo

if i have a 95 vx hatch and thinking about swapin a 94 ls motor in. it will be all stock. can it pass smog? im in california. i know it would not pass the ref. by the chp, i just need to know. i dont really understand how the smogging works.

what about a JDM motor running U.S. smog equipment with U.S. computer? i think it will pass

NO! If you end up going to the State Referee for your final inspection, they will x reference the serial number. The block must be from a car that is the same year or newer. also, you must stay within OBD generations that your car uses. Or same as the engine, it has to be the same or newer. If you choose to cahnge OBD's, then you must have all of the correct smog equitment/sensors that correspond with the new OBD. Trust me. I've been through it. If you do it right and by the book, they can't argue. Call DMV or a test only center and ask for the # to the state ref in your area. Be honest, tell him what you are thinking about, and find out what is to be checked. That way you don't have to worry and make multiple trips like me.

matt

p.s. please don't take offense to this, but aren't you the same H22Delsol that was accused of scamming peeps for parts about a week ago? If not I appolagize in advance.

94 motor in a 95 car should be ok, but if you were trying to cross genereations, say a 95 motor in a 96, then you could have an issue. Motors don nescessarily make it into a car the day after they are made, and a replacement motor for you car could have been made the year before your car, an then sat at a factory, for a few years.

so, are u saying that all the usdm motor dont need to be ref by chp just as long as its the same obd???? so, i can put a 92 ls in my car and take it to the smog shop and get it pass??

for jdm motors, u need to get it ref????

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 2 2004, 11:34 PM
94 motor in a 95 car should be ok,

technically, thats illegal. "the motor must be the same year or newer"

see the link above.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Feb 3 2004, 02:47 AM-->
@Feb 2 2004, 11:34 PM

see the link above.

o, i see. thanks for the replies. one more question, let just say that i have a 94 integra gsr and i put in a 95 gsr motor, will i need to get it refferee?? can i just take it to a smog place and get it pass without the refferee?

The smog techs will see that the engine serial #'s don't match the car. Take it to the ref. Just a question, why would you swap a 95 gsr mtr into a 94 gsr? Seems like a waste of money to me.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Feb 3 2004, 08:47 AM-->
@Feb 2 2004, 11:34 PM

see the link above.

Yea, i've read that, but I have read further into it, and it implies that a 94 motor that is held to the same emissions standard as a 95 can be a replacement. I don't know, I am going to call them, and find out, because if you read through all of it, there is a lot of conflicting information in their own site.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 2 2004, 11:21 PM
A US motor, running US smog equipment, and a US ECU, will pass no problem.

Ok, I just got off the phone with CARB (someone owes me some cheedar for that one)

You're hosed. No you can not swap a 94 motor into a 95 car in California. BUT this is just policy, NOT regulation, and if you take it to a ref, they CAN certify it, BUT, they will be held responsible for it if the shit hits the fan. You can obtain a compliance checklist prior to swapping the motor to aid in the legalization, but it is really hard to do.

You can use same JDM engine parts for replacement part, to INCLUDE head swap, BUT it has to be the same part, so it is usless.

But if you have a truck, say a Nissan, you can swap a 300ZX motor in no problem.

hahahaha, move out of california.! thats funny. i dont understand what u are saying 92b16vx. so ur saying its possible to do the 94 motor in the 95 car and get it ref but its just really hard to pass?

Originally posted by allgo@Feb 4 2004, 06:17 AM
hahahaha, move out of california.! thats funny. i dont understand what u are saying 92b16vx. so ur saying its possible to do the 94 motor in the 95 car and get it ref but its just really hard to pass?

I am saying that under Vehicle Code 27156, it is "illegal" to swap a JDM engine in your car, you can only use EXACT SAME part for replacement parts. If you have a California certified car, you have to swap a California certified engine. And it has to be same year or newer. The rep I talked to, pretty knowledgable about Honda swapping, said that the CARB is policy, but not law, so you can find a ref that doesn't give a shit, he CAN smog it, but any legal fallings are on him and he can be held responsible, so finding one is going to be hard.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 4 2004, 02:02 AM
I am saying that under Vehicle Code 27156, it is "illegal" to swap a JDM engine in your car

i always thought it was legal to swap in a jdm motor as long as it fit the year are was that years above it.

one more question. does the smog technician always check the block number?? can they just pass it anyways legally if it passes the test? what i trying to say is that, is it policy to check the block number when smogging it?? can the technician overlook that and pass the car?

For more information
To verify Executive Order numbers, or for questions about the replacement parts guidelines, please contact the California Air Resources Board Vehicle Hotline:

(800) 242-4450 in California

Won't cost you a dime.

Back