1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MR2 Spyder

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by 99sidude, Feb 14, 2008.

1. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

My uncle is unloading his 01' mr-s, and he offered it to me for 3k under bluebook. I've always wanted to build up a miata, but this seems like a good alternative considering the price. Has anybody out there dealt with one of these or have any words of wisdom when it comes to building one up for auto-x/road course duties?

I really know nothing on these. All I know is that they are mid engined and have the crappy 140hp version of the celica's engine. I wonder if the high compression 180hp is interchangable?

2. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Toyota swaps are ultra-tough. But totally worth it.

Get the MR2. It's a WAY better car than the Miata, as it sits right now. It's the thinking man's Porsche Boxter.

3. 99sidude

The things I don't like about it are A. the cost of mods, B, how damn cramped it is (the luggage space is an absolute joke), and C the color. His is yellow.

Because it will be a "fun" car, these complaints really don't matter. In a few day's I'm gonna go test drive it and hopefully make a decision there. How predictible are mid engined cars when driven hard? I've heard that they can be rather squirrly?

4. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

5. NissanNiNjA2nd

NissanNiNjA2nd Senior Member

I drove one for a week.... I will eventually own one and boost it or swap in something hellaciously amazing

6. 99sidude

Did it feel like it wanted to oversteer every time you pushed it hard?

7. Dct5289

Dct5289 GT5 FTW

The mark 2's like to spin. My friend has one with a 3s-gte swap (that particular swap is actually quite easy) and he ended up backwards at a stop light one time because he down-shifted a little to hard while the road was wet. Funny thing is though I was reading the manual while I was at his house one day and it actually warns you not to do that exact thing! I lol'd.

He also has a mark 1 MR2 and he loves it, he autoX's it and does rather well on nearly stock suspension. He says the mark 1 is more stable, but still not as stable as like a FR car.

As for the mark 3, I would compare it more to the mark 1 seeing as how it looks kind of like an updated version of it. The mark 2 is really large in comparison.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  8. NissanNiNjA2nd

I pushed it pretty hard on a fair weather 70 degree day on back roads. It performed amazingly well and I kept up with the track prepped 240sx in front of me.
    I love the cars and I will eventually own one.

9. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

The turbo model was the best

10. 99sidude

I like the sound of everything you're telling me! Hopefully I will be able to fit my 6'1" frame into the thing.

11. NissanNiNjA2nd

I am 6'1" 175 and I fit really well into it. I really can't stand the yellow though... personal thing.

12. FObangah

FObangah New Member

They look like frogs, but the MR-S is a nice car. I got to drive a buddies ( he wanted to drive the s2k ) It behaved way better than my s2k does. But, he says rear tire pressure has a dramatic affect on oversteer/understeer. Which makes since with the wait over the back wheels and all.

13. 99sidude

Good to know... I can't wait to see it and test drive the thing

14. Celerity

--- DOES NOT COMPUTE

15. FObangah

FObangah New Member

I think he means.......

"My buddie has a 1st gen it is sweet it is way better than a front engine rear drive car I wish I had one the mr-s is ok but wouldnt autocross it sdgfrthrtvrcercrct ecvrwvwv fvefwer ergerr bjbtever "

Maybe should have left out the spaces

16. Celerity

AW11s are the most competant, unique and un-matched design the automotive world has ever seen.

It's like the 911. You can never design anything like it - it will only be a rip off of the 911. Now lots of people said that the MR2 was just a Ferrari for poor people. The design is totally different than anything else.

17. 99sidude

Well I went and saw the car. I didn't get a chance to really push it because of wet roads. The damn thing has the SMG trans so there's no clutch or real shifter. I think I'm gonna wait to find one with a real gearbox in it.

18. Celerity

SMG ? On an MR2 ? Clutch, but paddle shifter ? Wow...

:)

It was auto.

19. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

A girl BDN and I used to work with owns an MR2. She autocrossed it every now and then and came in 1st or 2nd regularly with just intake/tires on it.

20. NissanNiNjA2nd

Its extremely technical, but the truth of the matter is it actually makes the car slower than the reg manual transmission and its a BITCH to drive regularly.

Much prefer the standard.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted