MSN teaches you how to be L33t

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Mar 8 2005, 01:16 PM
:repost:
[post=470688]Quoted post[/post]​

? i just saw it today on MSN and didnt find anything when i searched?

unless msn reposed itself

Originally posted by Havok@Mar 8 2005, 11:25 AM
On here?

If not, then it's not a repost.
[post=470696]Quoted post[/post]​

He might be thinking of a similar article form MSN that was posted a couple of months ago. If I remember right, it was about deciphering kids' online conversations, but it wasn't centered around being 1337.

i thought it was a repost at first too, but when i clicked the link i saw it was diffrent from the abbreviations one...

- Non-alphanumeric characters may be combined to form letters. For example, using slashes to create "/\/\" can substitute for the letter M, and two pipes combined with a hyphen to form "|-|" is often used in place of the letter H. Thus, the word ham could be written as "|-|4/\/\."

i remember the good old days when people tried to find shortcuts... not LONGCUTS...

- "pwn": A typo-deliberate version of own, a slang term used to express superiority over others that can be used maliciously, depending on the situation. This could also be spelled "0\/\/n3d" or "pwn3d," among other variations. Online video game bullies or "griefers" often use this term.

MSN sucks... its like a monotone retarted indian professor teaching US students about english...

speaking of... i think all indian professors should be banned from the US unless they can speak in a way that can be EASILY understood... paying thousands for an education and then being "taught" by someone you can't understand at all should be illegal...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 8 2005, 01:49 PM
i thought it was a repost at first too, but when i clicked the link i saw it was diffrent from the abbreviations one...

- Non-alphanumeric characters may be combined to form letters. For example, using slashes to create "/\/\" can substitute for the letter M, and two pipes combined with a hyphen to form "|-|" is often used in place of the letter H. Thus, the word ham could be written as "|-|4/\/\."

i remember the good old days when people tried to find shortcuts... not LONGCUTS...

- "pwn": A typo-deliberate version of own, a slang term used to express superiority over others that can be used maliciously, depending on the situation. This could also be spelled "0\/\/n3d" or "pwn3d," among other variations. Online video game bullies or "griefers" often use this term.

speaking of... i think all indian professors should be banned from the US unless they can speak in a way that can be EASILY understood... paying thousands for an education and then being "taught" by someone you can't understand at all should be illegal...
[post=470702]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow, I dunno if that is igonrant or just plain fucking stupid.

By that I meant everyone hear is an immigrant, unless you are a Native American. At some point, your thick-accented ancestors came to America, just as mine did.

I'm not an imigrant, I was born here. What happened hundreds of years ago, happened hundreds of years ago.

By that I meant everyone hear is an immigrant, unless you are a Native American. At some point, your thick-accented ancestors came to America, just as mine did.

i'm not saying anything bad about immigration... but a teachers job is to convey a message in a way the students can understand...

this could mean using "little people" terms for elementary school students, or it could mean being able to speak clean spoken english...

i have a very specific example... at my particular school the majority of economics teachers were from india, and some were understandable, some were not... now it was somewhere between 300 and 500 dollars per credit hour per student, this 3 credit class cost me between 900 and 1500 dollars for the semester and i could not understand a god damn word the professor said because his accent was too strong... i ended up learning everything for the class from the book and eventually stopped up going to the class altogether, i even filed a complaint with the university cause i think its bullshit to pay for a class that the professor can not teach...

this would be similar to you paying a retard to teach you physics or advanced mathematics... sure they might know the shit backwards and forwards, but without a way of conveying that message to the student they are completely useless...

I was born here as well. So were my parents, and their parents, etc. The point is, we didn't just come here, speaking perfect english. Obviously the faculty who hired the professor believed that he could teach the class just fine. I've had asshat professors as well, who thought it was Harvard, meanwhile I had professors who would take attendance once a month. The point is to get the message across, verbally or otherwise. If you can't understand him, learn to speak Hindu. Go down to south Florida, Spanish is the primary language down there, to work in any type of customer service, you must be bilingual.

I just noticed I spelled "here" wrong in my first post, lol.

Reading that flashed me back to the Rocky Horror Picture Show where the old man is trying to explane how to do the "Time Warp".

I was thinking that the "Indian" professor might be well versed in proper English, but lack the everday dialect that we speak. Fuck, we can't understand English people all the time. I watched "Shaun of the Dead", and my GF kept asking me what they said. Dialects change everything.

Originally posted by friz@Mar 8 2005, 09:53 PM
Reading that flashed me back to the Rocky Horror Picture Show where the old man is trying to explane how to do the "Time Warp".
[post=470993]Quoted post[/post]​

It's just a jump to the left....

Back