My 91 Mx-5 miata

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

200uzqo.jpg

o_O

LOL @ alloy wheels! Slap some steelies on that thing bro...

Get a grip guys. All this talk about "oh I have more money in this or that then his whole car is worth" or "I work at this place and it's worth a bajillion dollars" make you all sound like major douches.

At least the guy is trying. He's 21 years old and works at an auto shop, what do you expect? He definitely upgraded. Not saying he won't fuck this car up because that's inevitable but damn, y'all some fucking snobs.

I think they were mostly joking about the job stuff, but still, Dickskate likes to exaggerate, well, pretty much everything about his life. He said "my shop" when really he's just an apprentice mechanic at a shop. Seeing as we have people here that actually do own or run shops...there's quite a difference there.

Yeah, it's nice to just forgive and forget, but the truth is this guy's buried himself so deep in his own bullshit that he'll probably never completely make it out...is it really such a terrible reflection on us that we would question the things he says at this point?

I think they were mostly joking about the job stuff, but still, Dickskate likes to exaggerate, well, pretty much everything about his life. He said "my shop" when really he's just an apprentice mechanic at a shop. Seeing as we have people here that actually do own or run shops...there's quite a difference there.

Yeah, it's nice to just forgive and forget, but the truth is this guy's buried himself so deep in his own bullshit that he'll probably never completely make it out...is it really such a terrible reflection on us that we would question the things he says at this point?

Apprentice? Lol didn't know jiffy lube or whatever shit shop he works at had those.

If I had a dollar for every time a vehicle came into 'my' shop after recently visiting a 'burger rack' with a customer complaint along the lines of 'I just had my oil changed at Midas and now my car runs like shit' or 'Firestone just changed my air filter and now my check engine light is on,' I'd be able to retire next week.

And that isn't even me being a dickhead, that's a (mostly) legitimate fact.

I know that people have to start off somewhere but they should be trained a little on basic stuff.

When I had a company vehicle the lease plan made us go to the chain places for any service. I used to be worried after most services that the van would have to go back in again. I found a GoodYear near me I could trust and would always try to push anything until I was able to make it to them.

There are three kinds of wrenches (I won't say "Technicians") that you find working at burger joints.

Sidebar: "Burger joints" or "burger racks" are what we in the 'industry' refer to quicklube-type places as. The reason is because the people that work there have about the same level of mechanical knowledge and ability as someone flipping burgers for minimum wage.

Anyways, three types.

The first type is the old guy, who's either been working there for-fucking-ever and has given up on life, or who worked at legitimate shops/dealerships for a while and just couldn't hack it, so now they work at a burger rack since they didn't plan ahead for their future and don't have anything to retire with. These guys will typically have HUGE toolboxes PACKED full of bajillions of tools, however most of them are obsolete or useless (and most of their wrenches and sockets are SAE).

The second type is the young up-and-comer (don't get excited, this isn't you), who is either in tech school, fresh out of tech school, or considering going to tech school in the near future but hasn't made up his mind yet. These guys usually don't have very many tools, and often times will work out of a portable toolbox or tool chest. Not a lot of know-how yet, but they're just trying to get their feet in the door at SOMEWHERE automotive related so that they can use it for job experience down the line. These guys typically don't stay flipping burgers for too long, unless they're destined to be a 'lifer.'

And then there's the third type, which is you. These guys don't know shit about fuck, and usually have a mismatched set of tools stuffed into an off-brand (and yes, Craftsman is 'off brand') hand-me-down toolbox. They'll have the most random shit stuffed in their toolboxes, like broken or incomplete specialty tools, wrench and socket sets that they've got from friends who were throwing away extra tools, five-foot-long prybars that they bought because 'look how fuckin big it is', and TONS of flathead screwdrivers. A lot of the time these jackwagons' tool boxes will contain at LEAST one clawhammer. These are the guys that don't set torque wrenches back to zero when they're done using them (if they even use them), borrow tools from everyone else, brag to their friends about being a 'team leader' or 'lead technician' or 'shop foreman' when in fact they're nothing more than an apprentice or helper, show up late and leave early, smoke cigarettes while they're working on things, leave drain plugs loose, round off wheel studs, crossthread lug nuts, put brake pads on backwards, and generally destroy everything they touch. When they crossthread/round off/break a bolt, they're the first ones to go running to their superior to say "Look! This broke, it came in like this!" and they're also the ones who refuse to take responsibility when they fuck something up. This type of burger flipper almost ALWAYS drives a clapped-out car that they think is a 'race car', and 90% of the time their car will have tons of random stickers that don't relate to them or their vehicle at all, open header/straight pipe/loud raspy mufflers, cloudy shittily-smoked taillights, wings, eBay brand racing seats, and huge AutoMeter tachometers from 2001 (which, where the fuck are they finding these?)...and almost ALWAYS the car will be on mismatched wheels or steelies. These guys think they're Science's gift to the automotive world, and 'their ride is just clapped out because they're saving up money to make it fast rather than to fix it up now' or it's "under construction" - which, half the time they actually have an 'under construction' sticker on the vehicle. They go into their job thinking they know all there is to know, and they refuse to absorb knowledge from others who know more than them (even in shithole burger joints, where knowledge isn't all that abundant in the first place). They make up their own diagnostic procedures and will stick by them to the bitter end, even when someone else is showing them plain as fucking day that they're wrong. They'll misdiagnose themselves upside down and every which way, drop bolts in engines, make up 'diagnostic solutions' of their own, and make an overall general fuckery of everything they come in contact with. On more than one occasion, I've seen burger flippers literally FILL UP an engine with oil and send it out the door. These guys are the worst of the worst, and the ONLY thing worse than one of THESE guys is an Old Lifer that started out as a Flatbiller Fuckwit and somehow managed to keep turning wrenches and rounding off bolts for the last 30 or so years of his worthless life.

While I agree with you on that, there's the fourth type:

Tow truck driver who decided he wanted to "do something else" and has no other marketable skills.

Also, dudes, I just read this whole thread from the beginning, and this has got to be one of the most god damned hilarious things that I've ever read on here.

Someone like, archive this shit or back it up or something.

Also, dudes, I just read this whole thread from the beginning, and this has got to be one of the most god damned hilarious things that I've ever read on here.

Someone like, archive this shit or back it up or something.

It's already there- posts don't expire here like on Craigslist.

Just out of curiosity, why is Craftsman an off-brand? Only time I've broken their stuff is when I'm misusing it, and they replace it no questions asked.

My tools are a combination of Craftsman and Duralast. IDK, on the rare occasion I break one, its always easy to get it replaced.

Craftsmen is IMO the best cheap tools. They really are so so but only if you've used better.

The feel of higher end tools like snap on as with the low profile is awesome.

Craftsmen tools are "starter" tools.

You buy them because they're easy to find, and you can get them anywhere.

Snap On tools are where it's at.

I broke more craftsman tools than I can remember. Their replacement is ok, but for ratchets you get a rebuilt used one. I have snapped a ton of extensions and sockets. I used to go through the allen head t wrenches like crazy. For cheaper tools I have had the best luck with Husky.

Back