My Car Died On Me : /

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
Went around a corner and the motor just shut off. I was able to get into a parking space at least. I popped the hood and there isn't anything to see. Oil's fine, coolants fine, nothing visibly damaged. The starter turns over but the car doesn't do anything.

Thankfully its only a 20 minute walk from my house so it could be a lot worse. My dads coming home from work and then we'll figure it out from there.

Anything I should check and look for? I don't have a check engine light, and none of the warning lights are on.

id check to see if your fuel pump was engaging first. other then that id check for spark and the grounds

Yea I was thinking maybe fuel pump as well. I can't hear it make that noise when I first turn the car on anymore. Can't really do anything about it till we get the car home though.

I'm just really glad it didn't break down 30 miles from home. I had been up in Mt Vernon taking my sister to the college. I'm really glad I elected to take the freeway home instead of the backroads.

mine used to do something kinda like that. try unplugging the main relay for a couple mins. mine was fine for a couple days after then did the same thing again so i changed the relay and havent had the problem since

main relay issues usually come about during the summer, in the heat

check your rotor on the distributor
make sure the fuel pump is cycling
how fast does the motor turn over? could be a timing belt

Thats what I was going to suggest. Does the motor seem to be turning over faster than normal? That usually will lead to a broken timing belt.

Lmao, no actually I was pretty calm. I was just like you have got to be kidding me. Checked, there is no spark, so it's definitely electrical, the guy I bought the car from is going to bring a new main relay up so going to try that.

Oh and I just ordered myself some Hawk HP plus brake pads :D time to order some Brembo blanks.

EDIT: Oh and the guy I bought the car from is a private dealership that specializes in Hondas.

Last edited:
The fuel pump isn't cycling. I can't tell if it's turning over faster than usual. He suggested the main relay and he's going to make a trip up to where the car is at, so I figured might as well try that if he's willing to come up.

How would you go about checking the fuel pump? I know to listen buy the fuel door when it is turned to acc..... but that is the only way that i know how to look.

pull the hose off the fuel rail,,and if its pumping then its good,,if not then its got a problem

Oh man Chaz, it looks like this is not the week for EG's. I hope you get it running soon man.

How do you check the fuse? Sorry guys I don't know much about wiring at all. I can do the suspension stuff that's easy. And no I haven't checked the timing belt, I also don't know what to look for there.

I was just asking if the timing belt had snapped or slipped. No spark and insta dead, cranking but not starting sounds like a timing belt to me.

The quick and dirty way to check if its just snapped is to yank the distributor cap and see if the rotor is spinning with the motor while someone else cranks it. Or look inside your oil filler and see if the cam is spinning. To see if it slipped you're going to have to do a little more surgery removing covers, etc.

Last edited:
My vote is the main relay. It controls fuel and spark, and those seem to be the two things your missing.

Those two Honda guys came and took a look at it, they said its the distributor and not the main relay so they went to go pick one up for me which is pretty cool of them.

Back