my car is dying :-(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
So I've had this tiny leak in my water pump (S14 240SX)

from my days in Hydraulics I know that if you have more fluid then yu have leak you don't have a leak :).

Well over the weekend the leak got worse and now my power steering keeps going out during sharp turns, and my heater isn't heating at times...

I inspected the belt and pullys after the short drive to work and there was coolant on them :-(, but could that really affect my power steering? I mean the pully is on the same belt but it just seems odd. and what about the heater?

someone kick some wisdom so I know what besides the water pump needs work lol

seriously lol, I need real advice. Could all of that be attributed to the water pump.

I'm jacking it tonight to pull the dust cover off the botom of the engine and actually chase the leak, but it's to far aft to be the radiator, I guess I can't rule out a leaky hose yet but I can say for sure it's not comming from where the upper coolant hose meets the engine

sorry.. i have no clue.. i just had to say that, i have a friend thats into Nissans and its an ongoing thing

blah the belts are only a year old, to bad that stop leak I used didn't work :-(

pwr steering pump sounds like it's going bad. replace it and the steering sector. that should solve the steering problem unless it is fluid leaking on the belt then that would cause slip and loss of power, especially if you're accelerating hard. as for the leak check the block or upper rear hoses. what color is the fluid?

id always check hoses before you start buying shit and changing some difficult parts. i almost changed the water pump on the prelude, and as i took the timing belt off i noticed the cut hose for the heater core.

nice catch...i've had similar problems in a dodge stealth though... stiff steering...leaks. that kind of stuff... but that was a dodge not a nissan.

alright last night I put it up on a ramp, pulled the dust cover, and took a look-see

the water pump as leaking and possibly the lower radiator hose.

buying parts today, installing tonight. The car is already apart.

it was kinda fun, reminded me of working on the C-130, except I did n't know what I was doing lol

and BTW, the Chilton's manual is a fucking liar and generally is full of shit!

Chilton Manual: Retain all six bolts, note on reassembly that they are all different lengths...

Reality: 5 bolts, all same length

Chilton Manual: Un bolt fan shroud and move as necessary to remove water pump

Reality: Disconnect upper radiator hose, remove both fans including shroud completely, still fight with removal

liars

it has an electric fan and then a belt driven fan, would an aftermarket electric fan replace both of those?

If yes how difficult is the instal and where can I find one?

Last edited:
you have a/c? i would just replace the clutch fan and wire it in so when the car is on it runs.

the clutch fan under the shroud is the main fan. if you have a/c you will have an electric fan as well.

you get an electric fan to replace the clutch fan.

Back