My computer crapped on me.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92civicb18b1

The Trisexual
Well not really, the mouse connection thingy did. After 6 years of flawless service besides the CDRW taking a shit a week after I got it it, replaced then shitting again a week later, it finally sorta gave in.

Lucky me, I had an exact replica of it with less RAM, that my sister forgot when she moved. Swapped HD's and RAM, wham, I"m back.

But this computer's start-up is SO slow. I don't get it, mine always just booted up in a few seconds, this one take a few minutes. After it finally makes it to the oh so wonderful Windows ME, it's fine. It's only a 700 mhz 256 RAM but I don't understand why it's so slow to boot up.

Any ideas?

That is what I did. Mine had upgraded ram, which I swapped as well.

But it's just the start up is really slow, I don't understand it.

Damn.. Windows ME blows.. and 700 mhz? That sucks

a trick... boot into safe mode... Go into device manager... Remove EVERYTHING (EXCEPT THE KB & MOUSE!!!)

Reboot the machine, and let it refind everything.

Then, after thats done, run defrag, and you might want to check MSCONFIG (Not sure if ME has that)

Is it a Dell? It's possible the motherboard is bad... Dell or not- but if it's a Dell, you have a higher chance of a bad board.

I've had this computer forever....

I seriously bought it in 1999.

I haven't needed anything faster and this is plenty quick. All I use it for is the internet, a couple games now and then and sometimes to list things on ebay.

So am I. I'm actually really suprised, the CDRW crapped out a week or two after I bought it, then 3 times after that.

I had it under warranty but after the fourth time, I said fuck it cause it they send it back to the factory and it took too long.

I never had any other problems, I've had to reformat it every couple of years though.

:werd:

I built my own in 2001 for 200 bucks and I'm on it right now. I still can run CS source, and many other games, and it runs just fine. It all depends how you treat it as well, I regularly dust mine and check the devicemanager for unknown software that is stealing some of the 384mbs of ram. I haven't reformatted in 3 years as well.

I used to go to the computer conventions to buy parts. Built my own way back in the day when 500 Mhz was considered fast, I still have that compute somewhere.

Mine just did something weird tonight. I was running Adaware, and when it got to the part where it says "deleting selection", this window came up and said that Adaware encountered a problem and needs to shut down. So I was about to click the "Don't Send" button, and the thing shut down completely, and then this blue screen came up and said some error. Had to shut it down and restart it.

i delete my registry once a month, run adaware and spybot twice a week, use avg virus scanner and firefox when needed and i have never had a problem with my laptop. I usually reformat every 2 - 3 months to make it run at peak. I just transfer all my programs onto my external hard drive to back everything up and reformat and transfer back on. Besides that my computer is a bad bitch (3.1 ghz, 1024 ram) it will always run ike a champ if you treat it right. I was trying to sell this thing a little while ago but no one wants a nice computer just for internet purposes :shrug2: i think it is a little over a year old and it is still up to date, Maybe to speed it up try grabbing yourself a copy of xp pro...

I dunno if it's worth it. If I'm gonna spend a couple hundred bucks, I might as well get a new computer or build my own like Cal suggested.

I can probably get XP Home for less then 100 bucks, maybe I'll do that.

eh, i would use the old machine with a usb mouse or something...

if 700mhz worked ok for you all this time then no reason to go blow money on a new machine...

Back