1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend has a problem. Can you help??

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by PiMp26836, Sep 1, 2004.

1. PiMp26836

PiMp26836 Junior Member

Hey everybody! I have a question for you. My friends girlfriend has a 98 Prelude that has some work done to it. It has a header, cold air intake, VAFC controller, full exhaust system, type s cams and gears and its only dynoing at 140 hp. After all those mods you would think it would be higher than that. It has power but it just doesn't feel like it has what it should.
    Any solutions????

One of the people around my home town said that maybe it could be out of timing by a tooth and one tooth is like 18 degrees.

Would anybody know what the problem could be??? I would really really appreciate the help!

2. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Nope.

3. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

who hooked up the VAFC?
    and was it tuned utilizing the cam gears?

i would guess its not tuned in right

4. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

5. PiMp26836

PiMp26836 Junior Member

Hey man. Her boyfriend hooked it up. The car was dyno tuned also so you think it still may be off through the gears or something??

6. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

Then the question is.... how much does her boyfriend know about tuning?

And how long has she had the car, has it been maintained well and what is the mileage on it?

7. TWAN

TWAN Senior Member

yeah... that thing should be putting down a lot more at the wheels...

my buddys 97 lude with skunk2 stage 1 cams, and an aem cai is within 1 hp of his brothers type r and hangs with it side by side til the middle of 3rd...

i dont remember the numbers exactly, i think it is somewhere 179 at the wheels.

8. PiMp26836

PiMp26836 Junior Member

Her boyfriend has a gsx eclipse that is pushing right around 550 so he knows somewhat what he is doing but that has nothing to do with vtec or anything either. Honda is different from the stuff he is working with. She has had the car for a while and it wasnt running like that before they put that stuff on it. It's got around 72000 on it or something like that. I know its been taken care of also so I dont know.

9. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

If it's at 72K miles, has the timing belt and water pump been replaced yet? With those miles, it could use a new fuel filter, sparkplugs and wires... just a passing thought.

Well about the tuning, you might want to analyze the engine by running a wideband O2 sensor on it. See what the A/F mixture is and adjust the VAFC accordingly. Maybe if you post those readings up, someone on here can suggest some solutions. Sometimes this stuff is tough to figure out from a distance. I was talking to a longtime Acura mechanic and he said that with identical mods, identical cars will run differently. What makes one car really happy right off, might not work immediately well with another one. Sorry to ramble on... it's that some mods aren't just plug and play.

10. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

One more suggestion... make sure that the VAFC is wired into that car correctly.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted