My SURPRISE Bday party

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
My one friend lemme know that something was up this weekend for my Bday, he's a dick like that :p I had NO CLUE though who was coming and what day it was happening so it wasnt totally ruined.

SO, we partied ALL night Friday for my Bday, I was up until 5am :lol: I wake up at 2pm, get my PJ's on and hit the couch ready to relax for a bit. The wife comes down and tells me I need to get in the shower and get ready to leave :( I was kinda pissed but I figured I knew what was coming ;)

We leave the house in the Honda, hit the highway and passed a car getting on. A BUNCH of blue smoke came out the exhaust followed by blue smoke coming in the vents. I thought it was a wire burning up or something else stupid. We pulled over and the engine bay was a oily mess!!! The breather filter was clogged with oil on my catch can, I removed it and the smoking stopped for the most part. I got the car to the auto store, installed a new mini filter and tried to drive it away again. As soon as I started to merge on the highway again, smoke came in the vents again!! I took it home and called it a day for the beater. By this time we shoudlve been there already, so I was a lil aggitated! :lol:

We finally get on the road with a sound & solid car, people calling every 2 mins "Are you almost here!" :mad: I had a few sacks of some killer haze to burn at the party so I told Beth to take it easy on the ride there! She gets on the highway and starts driving like a MAD WOMAN!!! Sure enough, theres a fuckin cop standing by his car on the shoulder. He stared us down hardcore and got into his car. I'm thinking, SHIT, he's going to pull us over and I just burned a clip from the night before. I unloaded all my illegals :( Cop goes flying by us not even taking a 2nd look, WTF!!!!!!

An hour and a half later we hit my parents neighborhood!! As we get near their house its around a blind corner. I see the front of their house and there's a Matrix sitting there dropped with rims. I was trying to figure out who the hell that could be until we rounded the corner a lil more!

It was a LINE OF MATRIX's!!!! A bunch of the people that we travel & hang with all the time came out for a surprise party!!! All of the people that came were the regulars who I've became great friends with on and off the boards. It was one of those moments where you almost want to cry. I was so overwhelmed by how many people took time out for me :)

Needless to say, the party was great and the people got fuckin smashed!! I have vids and pics of the action, I will post them up when I get them UL'd and converted to smaller formats.

I would cry if I pulled up my street and it was lined with Matrices.

wow man...glad to hear it was a good time...despite the honda fucking up...did you get that taken care of?

I played with it yesterday a bit, I got 2 cans of engine cleaner and cleaned up the oily mess. I thought maybe since it made such a mess that the smoke afterward was the oil burning off, I was wrong :( It smokes out of the breather filter when I blip the throttle :( :( :( I'm pretty sure the rings are shot. I was planning on rebuilding it this winter anyway, its just coming early now :lol: The shittiest part is my new clutch showed up today....money that could've been used for engine parts and a H23 head. Oh well, I needed the clutch anyway and now with a built up motor I will definately need it :D

have you done a leak down? or compression?
i'm sure you're right about the rings, just wondering how bad your numbers are...

I'm going to do a Compression test when I get home. Do I need special tools to do a leak down test? Thats one I'm not familiar with, I've heard it a ton of times just never did it myself.

not really, you just need a compressor and a way to inject air into the spark plug hole...

I have a compressor and 2 compression testers. I could hack one and use it to feed air in. Do I just inject air and then see if it leaks out and how fast? If so, how many psi should I try in there?

Wait a sec, are you suggesting he do a compression test with an air source ?

Ok ok ok .. Everyone back off.

Thread the gauge in place, in the spark plug hole. Remove the main coil wire so it doesn't start.

Have someone turn the key and turn the engine over until the gauge stops climbing. I would say, about 6 turns (eerRReeRReeRR...)

At the end you'll have a reading. Take that reading and compare it to ambient air pressures (on your barometer). Divide. You'll end up with something like 9:1 (ratio of compressed air being held in the cylinder vs ambient air pressure)

But luckily you don't have to do that. You can just look at the gauge, note it, and move on to the next cylinder. They should all be within the same range (Use your logical deductions here)

A wet compression test is done by pouring a little oil in there and letting it quench the oil rings. This will provide a ... different reading (Which at first just seems like a "better" reading... again, use your brain to interpret what you're seeing)

If you want, give me your readings and your altitude and I (or someone here) can give you a round about figure.

Tech Tip: Building and Using a Leakdown Tester

Wait a sec, are you suggesting he do a compression test with an air source ?

RIF
leak down
and you forgot holding the throttle open in your little write up
but he has 2 compression testers, i'm pretty sure he knows how to use em

and i wouldn't worry about how MUCH is lost
just where its going...
4 choices:
intake valves
exhaust valves
rings
headgasket
or of course the hole in the piston or crack in the head