My Vtec is not kicking in?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Taco15@Jun 16 2005, 12:05 PM
:withstupid: if the ecu is the ONLY thing that you messed with then i think thats your source. I'm not up to date on HS since i work out of town so you might have alrady done this. swap the ecu to a stock vtec one.    heres one. have you checked the fuses?
[post=512910]Quoted post[/post]​

I missed checking the fuses. I'll check it out tomorrow after work. Thanks Also how much psi of oil does it have to been? I have the 4in1 AC tach..Thanks again

dude i have no idea. I dont have any gauges and i drive an lsvtec crx. Maybe someone else can help.......sorry

First the car is a 92 civic dx. Second the engine is B18C1. Third I got this engine from a friend. His the one that installed it. My car never came with Vtec when I first got it! I just took his word that the B18C1 Vtec was working. Since I never had a Vtec before I didnt know how it suppose to sound or kick. Until one of my friend show me a month ago. His doesnt know how to fix or figure out what the problem is. So now it could be he never installed the wire, Vtec head could be broken, or the ecu? I want to see if there's another way to test it to find the problem. I check out the info you guys have in the Referr. I just can't figure out what the problem is. I'm willing to pay some one to fix it. I just want to find someone that really knows about cars. I could always take it to RPM or Full Throttle. The only problem with that is too many people around checking your shit. If you could help me out it would be great. If not thanks for reading this. LaTeR

look on the main page!!!! there is a full article on how to WIRE OR REWIRE VTEC

alright so you have a p72 in it right now?

ok since this is you first vtec. Check you vtec solenoid and follow the wires. they should end up to you ecu. Also i read that you said something about running at high rpm or full throttle to check it (i might be wrong). VTEC kicks in when..... you have normal operating temp. also you have to go at least 15mph for it to kick in....i think. And also you dont always feel vtec. :( i cant feel mine. but you can hear it.

i know it might sound elentary but i dont know how much you know, since its your first gsr motor :p just in case i figured you might not have known that

RPM and Full Throttle are shops that work on aftermarket parts for cars. I just dont like taking my car over there. Too many people checking out your rides. Thanks

I open the vtec solenoid to check the filter. It was pretty clean. Then a oil change, checked the ECU to make sure the plugs were in the right place. Try to follow the wire all the way to the ecu. There's to many of them and I get lost :unsure: . I'll check the fuses today. I just dont understand about the ground for the vtec solenoid? Can you explain how to do or check to see if it does have a wire to the ground? I do have the check engine on. Since I got the engine! Thanks again

alright first of all here on our reference section you can find out the pinouts for you ecu. there you can find out the exact wires for vtec. Also i grounded my Vtec (-) straight to the battery. does you ecu have the blinking light? if so then it will blink a number of times to let you know the code.Ex. 4 short blinks is cel 4. One long blink and 4 sort is is 14. If thats not your case then read the refence section to explain the other way you can check the cels your self.

again what ecu do you have? :huh:

Originally posted by Taco15@Jun 17 2005, 10:51 AM
alright first of all here on our reference section you can find out the pinouts for you ecu. there you can find out the exact wires for vtec. Also i grounded my Vtec (-) straight to the battery. does you ecu have the blinking light? if so then it will blink a number of times to let you know the code.Ex. 4 short blinks is cel 4. One long blink and 4 sort is is 14. If thats not your case then read the refence section to explain the other way you can check the cels your self.

again what ecu do you have? :huh:
[post=513393]Quoted post[/post]​

Today I did something that made my car sound different. A few months ago my car started to act funny. When I would start my car it would choke and throw a smell of gas. It would do it for about 5 mins and then stop. So I decide to unplug a green plug that goes under the VTech Solenoid. It didnt do anything and the choking was still going on. I put it back in and unplug the wire coming out of the Vtech solenoid and the choking stop. I put the wire together and the sound started again. So now I think its the wrong wire or that the Vtech solenoid is bad.. Can someone let me know. Thanks :worthy:

check the wire and make sure its coming from the right ecu pin. If not then clean the VTEC solenoid and its screen.

Back