N/A Y8 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sofast

Just picked up a 93 hatch non vtec. I have a choice of two engines to work with. B16a or a Y8. I have dedecided to run the B16 in my CRX and the Y8 in my hatch. I want to build the Y8 for N/A HP. Im looking for detailed info on a good setup. I have a full automotive shop and a machine shop I work with. My budget is $2500 or so. Being im doing the labor myself and my machine shop cost nothing this should achievable.

Why dont you just boost the D16?? To make any good HP on a NA D16 you will need to do quite a bit of work and spend some $$. You will need really good head work and a properly matched cam for the head and compression you will run. A good tune will also be needed on some high octane juice to gain the real power out of the setup. With boost it is fairly cheap to reach higher HP than a fully built NA. For example try to get 200-220 NA on a D16 pretty hard to do and very expensive engine modification is needed. 200 is easy to get with a good turbo kit and under $2000 for everything. Plus 200whp is possible on a stock block with proper fuel upgrades and tuning. For your budget I say boost it.

If he wants to go N/A he can still get up over 160whp with all off the shelf parts and good tuning, maybe even higher with proper porting and cranking the redline up a bit. There are plenty of good reasons to avoid the turbo.

It will cost more than the $2500 he said he wants to spend. A good port job is going to run at least $2000. Boost is just the cheaper way to reach the same HP goals. I am at 161whp on my stock LS Vtec and want more, so boost is the best way to get the 300whp I want. JMO on the budget the OP said he had. I would boost the D and go NA all out on the B for the CRX.

Yes, if peak power is what he's looking for... like I said, there are plenty of reasons to build all motor. Big numbers aren't everything.

True a well done D16Y8 can be a quick motor in a hatch. With the $2500 limit I would put most of it into head work a good cam and tuning. If there is money still a set of higher compression OEM pistons. I have seen a few B16 killing D16s NA.

Last edited:
bisimoto cam
bisimoto header
pg6 pistons
head job
intake manifold job
depending on fuel, 12.7cp or 13cp
springs, retainers,keeper,
valves job
CAI
2.5 pipe

alot of time at a dyno
160hp?

Wasn't even thinking Bisimoto parts to get there, but yeah- they'll help. I don't know how aggressive his D16 VTEC cam is. I do know that people have run the Zex 59300 cam and PM7 pistons and made over 165whp on a crap DC header though, running pump gas.

Its funny how we consider DC headers to be crappy now. Ten years ago they where the best headers out there. Now with Hytech and Bisi headers able to make more power than a DC, DC has taken a back seat. LOL

DC was the absolute vodka of the aftermarket performance world

they had good advertising and flooded themselves out in every import mag there was

so you saw them everywhere and name recognition being what it is they tended to be the go to for a lot of people too lazy to do real research

their headers were ok at best
their exhausts were loud and fair sounding... not the worst but far from good
their bars were cosmetic at most

they were never top shelf... ever... they were a step above Ractive

they simply had name recognition

Mmm I would say back in the day before we had the Tri Y style headers DC was the best bang for the buck (even though I have always used DC knock offs lol) quality header. Their exhausts did suck and sounded bad IMO. You still see them on cars in Honda Tuning ect, Project Car Mag is still using them on their builds. They make ok power, more than a stock mani for sure. But the Tri Y blows them away 10-15whp with a Tri Y. I would have went with a Tri Y but am going boost so I used a 4-2-1 header for now.

Mmm I would say back in the day before we had the Tri Y style headers DC was the best bang for the buck (even though I have always used DC knock offs lol) quality header. Their exhausts did suck and sounded bad IMO. You still see them on cars in Honda Tuning ect, Project Car Mag is still using them on their builds. They make ok power, more than a stock mani for sure. But the Tri Y blows them away 10-15whp with a Tri Y. I would have went with a Tri Y but am going boost so I used a 4-2-1 header for now.

HyTechs Tri-Y has been around almost as long as DC Sports :) But yea, they were one of the less expensive brands, and they actually had a header for most models.

Its funny how we consider DC headers to be crappy now. Ten years ago they where the best headers out there. Now with Hytech and Bisi headers able to make more power than a DC, DC has taken a back seat. LOL

They were never the best headers. Good value, yes (I've used plenty of them before), but never anywhere near the best. 10 years ago I would have gotten an SMSP or Hytech header if I could have afforded it. Now I think I'd just design and build my own.

Back