Need a B20vtec opinion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FiftyFive

I am looking into purchasing a car. The car has a B20b/b16 motor. I was wondering what you guys thought of this setup. Done right?

BLOCK
B20B block 84mm
RS machine 84mm pistons (11.5:1)
stock PR4 rods (resized) with ARP rod bolts
Stock sleeves
PR4 crank (micropolished)
Top line bearings
oem head gasket
ITR oil pump
ITR water pump
passwordjdm magnetic drain plug
oem oil filter
all new OEM gaskets

HEAD
PR3 B16 head (resurfaced)
new valve seals
3 angle valve job
intake & exhaust ports have been cleaned up
Rocket motorsports valve springs and Ti retainers
Skunk2 pro series Pro1+ cams

BOLT-ONS
AEBS intake manifold
obd1 gsr throttle body 65mm bored out by maxbore.com
DC intake arm with blox velocity stack with blox filter
hondata intake manifold gasket
Hy-tech replica race header
k-teller 2.5" SS piping, no cat or resonators
2.5' SS magnaflow oval muffler
STR fuel rail with braided fuel line feed
B&M fuel regualtor and guage on top of rail
Walbro 255 fuel pump
full-race ls/vtec oil line kit
Allstar breather catch can
new oem ITR ignition wires
NGK plugs
new oem cap and rotor
STR cam gears
King motorsports extended intake & exhuast studs
Fluidyne radiator
Samco hoses (red)
slim line fan
Mugen fan switch
Mugen thermostat
new oem fuel filter
Innovative race billet mounts
new oem clutch line
new oem speedometer cable
new oem ITR valve cover with ITR crome oil cap
Odyssey PC680 battery with odyssey battery box holder

Thanks for the advice guys. It means a lot.

Last edited:
any ideas? might be picking this car up pretty soon, just wanted some input. ive had a few hondas but all factory b series

sounds like it was done well.... but theres no way to be sure when you are buying a used car. just look it over very closely, do a compression check, drive it, and hope its as good as it sounds/looks

Does anyone know how high i can rev this safely. Beware! I am a noob to hybrid b-series motors.I have mainly been a b16 fan over the years. Thanks

So I take it you purchased the car?

If so, have it dyno'd. You will see where you are making power and where you stop making it.

I have not purchased the car yet. Just want to make sure it will be somewhat reliable.
Dyno:

1000717ny4.jpg

Seems to me the dyno sheet shows that it stops making power right around 7500...

Those are pretty respectable numbers.

those numbers are really high! i have a similar set-up in my dc2 and im sure its not putting down those kind of numbers. i need to get a few more things am im going to take it to be dyno tuned.

i am a noob to this frankenstein motor thing too. i have had a couple b16a powered DAs back in the day, but thats it. i have been asking some questions on this forum and others, and most people are telling me that regularly exceeding 7000 rpms is not a good idea. however you are not the first person to show that a b20vtec can make power until 7500 or more. i have heard tales of lsvtecs and b20vtecs running up to 8k or even 8.5k for years on stock blocks but i have my doubts. i have a custom basemapped ecu for my set-up and my car runs real nice and smooth, and it has been a nice daily driver/gas saver for me this first month or so that i have owned it. mine pulls really hard until just after 7k. i have revved it to 8 a few times but shifting at 7.5 is just as fast and i feel better about it. maybe this will help you out

edit: just realized i didnt read close enough and this car your looking at is not a stock bottom end... oops! even still, theres no reason to rev past the power band

Last edited:
Back