Need a new processor

Which is better for gaming(socket A, 166Mhz)

• Athlon XP 30

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

alright im looking to upgrade my cpu, i currently have a 1.4ghz AMD processor(dont remember what kind though), and a Gigabyte 7-VAX1394. the motherboard can support up to 333Mhz FSB, which is why those are my two decisions. ive searched for hours on the internet but still cant make up my mind. i pretty much want something that is biased more towards gaming but still good for daily work.

Thanks

I'm not sure if the Sempron is Socket A. I know the XPs are, so grab a 2500+ Barton core just to be safe. :)

Fuck p4, go Athlon64, for single processor, its the only processor I would choose. For SMP, I vote Xeon, but for single, its A64 all the way.

Not necessarily... look up the specs on your board and make sure that it can support the new cores (Barton etc) that you're looking at buying. Even if it supports 333MHz, it may not support the newer chips.

ok i went on giga-byte's and amd's website, they both say they support the Athlon XP, but nothing about the Semprons. so should i just stick with the Athlon XP?

Go look through the BIOS updates for the motherboard. They generally contain all the updated information on what you can flash the BIOS to, and the descriptions will tell you which updates added support for which cores.

ok i did that and it does support the Semprons with a BIOS that ive already updated to, but which one is still better?

The Sempron is the replacement for the XP. The socket A semprons are becoming harder to find. The only one my work has been able to get lately are the socket 754 semprons. I say go socket 754 and get an AMD 64 3000+ and an Asus K8V-X motherboard. That is probably one of the best budget set ups going. But if you are dead set on a Socket A chip go with the sempron I think it has a slightly faster ram through put.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Apr 6 2005, 01:31 PM
Fuck p4, go Athlon64, for single processor, its the only processor I would choose. For SMP, I vote Xeon, but for single, its A64 all the way.
[post=483713]Quoted post[/post]​

Dual Operton... if you can afford it.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Apr 22 2005, 12:02 AM
The Sempron is the replacement for the XP. The socket A semprons are becoming harder to find. The only one my work has been able to get lately are the socket 754 semprons. I say go socket 754 and get an AMD 64 3000+ and an Asus K8V-X motherboard. That is probably one of the best budget set ups going. But if you are dead set on a Socket A chip go with the sempron I think it has a slightly faster ram through put.
[post=489890]Quoted post[/post]​

i think i might do that if i can find a good deal at TigerDirect(i live a few mins. from the store). i guess no point in upgrading to something that's obsolete. thanks.

i dont really have a need for dual processors; i need something fast enough for games that doesnt cost too much.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Apr 22 2005, 11:26 AM-->
MaaseyRacer
@Apr 22 2005, 12:02 AM
[post=489890]Quoted post[/post]​

i think i might do that if i can find a good deal at TigerDirect(i live a few mins. from the store). i guess no point in upgrading to something that's obsolete. thanks.

i dont really have a need for dual processors; i need something fast enough for games that doesnt cost too much.
[post=489971]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't waste the time on 754, go with a 939 socket. AMD is working on the dual core 64bits, and the rumor is, they may make them usable on 939s, also it seems you can get more features on 939 socket MoBos, but that's just my opinion.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 22 2005, 06:06 AM
Don't waste the time on 754, go with a 939 socket. AMD is working on the dual core 64bits, and the rumor is, they may make them usable on 939s, also it seems you can get more features on 939 socket MoBos, but that's just my opinion.
[post=489975]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok i started looking at the 939 sockets, and they have a MSI K8TNeo2-F Via Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor for about $260, is this good? what others(motherboards) do you guys recommend? Also, what is the main advantage of the 939 over the 754? i need something thatll last me for awhile because i dont like upgrading the computer that much, and i need to upgrade my video card now(a FX5200) because its slow on HL2.

The advantage of the 939 over the 754 is the future. The shop here in town doesn't even carry the 754s. And it isn't going to be outdated very soon, and if AMD does decide support with the dual cores it will make it even mo' betta.

But that isn't a bad set up, you could play HL2 with that and a good graphics card. I'd take a couple steps up, on teh MoBo and get the Nvidia chip, which was suggested to me from others here, and I am glad it was. And step up to a 3500 or 3800, but you're looking at close to doubling the price, so depending on what your looking for now, and in a couple years, you could decide if it's worth it.

I disagree about trashing the 754. Its still a very good option if youre on a tight budget. Recently, new mobos that support the 754 also came in PCI-X. For a while it was only AGP. Besides, the dual core 939s are coming out a $500+ and the gains are too realistic because most programs are single-threaded anyway. Also, even though the 939 has dual channel memory, that doesnt really do shit for an AMD chip. Maybe 5% gain at most. Another important thing to look at is the PSU. Most 939 boards require a 24-pin psu. You can use a 4-pin adapter, but some have reported inconsistent amps on the rails. You can get away with it, but once in get into SLi, its a must to switch to a new PSU which cost around $100.

However, if you can spare 50-100 dollars or so, I would definately get the 939. As far as graphics i would take a look at the ATi X700. Its around $110 and it does fairly well in new games like DOom 3 and Half Life 2. But again, another $30 can score you a 6600GT that well perform better and you can get another on down the road too link it with SLi, prioviding you have the motherboard.

Suggestions for motherboard: DFI if you like to tinker with ur computer and overclock. FOXCon or Chaintech are very nice and stable boards if you plan not to overclock. If you get the DFI, i would definately get some OCZ Value VX. It is the only motherboard that can provide enough Vdimm to the memory and overclocking into a monster. Matching some memories that cost $100+ for a stick of 512mb. ]

Note: If you plan to overclock, I suggest waiting for the new Revisions called the Venice core. 1) It has SSE3 (not much) 2) Better memory controllers (very helpful if running all memory banks) 3) Less power required 4) Supposedly to overclock like monsters. Getting up to 2.9ghz on air is retarded fast. The last winchester batches have been turning out to be bad overclokers.

If you are on a budget, and want to keep an AGP video card, go with the Asus K8V-X motherboard. It is going to be cost effective, and you can go with either a Sempron, or a 64 processor. Yes the socket 754 is on its way out, but you will notice a speed increase from the Socket A to the 754. I really cannot recommend the ASUS K8V-X motherboard, the AMD 64 754 3000+, and a SATA hard drive enough. Bang for the buck it is a great set up.
If you want a new system, and are looking to spend a little more, get an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe, an Antec NeoPower 480 Power Supply (24pin), ATI X800, and an AMD Athlon 64 3500+. I have a very similar set up to this and love it. This board is one of the first PC boards to impress me, it is still missing Firewire 800, and built in bluetooth. However, I am still happy with the speed of the set up.

Back