need clarification. jdm type r swap to eg.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rjgerolaga

newbie here. i've done several search but still have no confirm answer to couple of my question. i got a ex coupe civic usdm and just purchased a jdm 99 type r complete motor swap. i have couple of question i need resolve before performing the swap. i hope you guys can help me out.

1. OBD1/2:
i got a OBD1 system on my 95 civic coupe and the dc type R is OBD2. what exactly will i be needing to convert it to OBD2 or is it better for me to stick with OBD1.

2.wiring/harness:
can i use the ex usdm wire harness and make it work with the jdm type r or do i have to use the jdm type r harness.

3.ECU:
do i use the existing type r ecu or something else.

i know this topic may have been discuss lots of times but i need exact information on what i will be coming across. i have receive alot of suggestion on how too but most of them seems clueless on what they are suggesting. i hope somebody here can give me precise direction and information on what i will be doing. maintanance on the motor such as e.g. clutch, spark plugs, belt, have been all perform. but before i drop the whole thing i need more information to minimize the error/s.
thanks again for taking your time and appreciate your comment.

anyone thinking of bashing this. please keep the criticism to yourself.

1) You should stay OBD I, it can be tuned easier and you'll have less wiring headaches.

2) Use a USDM ITR harness for simpliest installation. Or you can modify your Civic harness to fit. The JDM harness is for a RHD vehicle, meaning the plugs are on the wrong side since their engine bays and cabin are backwards. You can source plugs that don't match your EX harness from it, but that is about all it is good for. Be sure to try and get a manual for both cars when you start modding your harness, so you can keep track of what wires are what.

3) Run your ECU, but have it chipped to run a 1.8 DOHC ITR, instead of your 1.6 SOHC EX. This way you don't have to mess with or pay for a OBD II-OBD I conversion harness. Some places have a 24 hour turn around, or will simply take yours as a core, and send you one that is already chipped, plus a little cash of course.

it would be better to go obd1 but i stayed with obd2 and bought a jumper harness from lo cash racing. I also used my eg's wiring harness but you have to use the injector plugs and the alternator plug from the type r harness, and for the dizzy we pulled the pins out of the plugs in the eg's wiring harness and pinned them into the type r dizzy plug. if you stay obd2 you can buy the jumper harness and just plug the type r ecu in. but if you go obd1 you have to chip your p28 and change alot of shit which I didnt feel like doing.

thanks for the response. since i have the complete swap. i want to stay with everthing. i know the jdm and usdm harness is opposite. as for the harness.

if i should be using my existing harness. what exactly do i need to do. what wire needs to be added and modify. also will the eg harness connectors will clip to the type r motor.
i dont think i will be mod up the motor. so i dont mind sticking with OBD2 system.
i also want to use the type r ecu that came with the motor and what kind of problem will i be coming across.

the eg's plugs will fit except for the injector plugs, alternator and the dizzy plugs. you have to use the plugs from the type r harness for those.

ok. so i will be using my existing harness. so i will be using the itr plug clip for injectors, dizzy, and alternator and replace the ones from the civic. that makes sense. now. did you came across some problem. i am concern about the engine light going on and wont be able to trace of the problem. also with this, i guess i wont be able to use the itr ecu which i am trying to avoid.
now if i went with my sohc ecu and chipped it to make it run like an itr. which you did. is the redline and vtec engagement are same as the itr ecu. i have a friend that chipped a sohc to make it run like the itr. but his only problem is he claims the redline (7800 rpm) is not as high as factory type r but he claims the vtec engage alot sooner than stock itr. any suggestion on this.

I used the type r ecu and you will have to also unless you convert to obd1. to use the itr harness just buy the jumper harness from lo cash racing and you can just plug the ecu into the stock harness.

the only thing is you just have to run a knock sensor wire or you will throw a check engine light.

thanks...really appreciated that and really helpfull information. i'll keep you up to date and will be knocking on your door when i come across some issue.

ok heres how i have my 00 JDM ITR engine set up in my 93 sol Si

im using the harness from my D16Z6
i swapped the plugs for the injectors and distributor
i used an OBD-1 B series alternator ... but you can just swap the plug for that too
lengthen the wires for the O2 sensor and i think the VTEC solenoid (might have been a few others but i dont remember)
im using a chipped P28 (doesnt look for a knock sensor) use good gas and you dont have to worry about the knock sensor
i have the AF ratio adjusted with a VAFC and i run great
no need for all this conversion harness bullshit

Back