need help...bless me with your knowledge world!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truchoEG

Ok...so my friend asked me to help him do a swap into his 1996 del sol with a d16y7 obd2...he has a zC engine...he has not givimg me anymore info on his engine...ive searched and searched...no solid help about this swap into a del sol...i know theres several types of ZCs...i know i should wait to see what ZC he has exactly...but i want to get insight ahead...so i know what to expect...now ive done.swaps with obd2 engines into obd1 bodies...but never a what could most likely be a.obd0 engine into an obd2 body...to me it sounds likeA LOT of wiring issues..ANY help...would be appreciated...

Thanks.in.advance

its a big PITA and illegal in a lot of places to put an older engine in a newer chassis. there's 3 gens of zc's, so really, you need to figure out what he has before we can point you in any direction at all.

there are DOHC ZCs and SOHC ZCs - DOHC was available in OBD0 and OBD1 - SOHC was available in OBD0 non-VTEC, OBD1 non-VTEC, OBD1 VTEC and OBD2 VTEC - any of them can be swapped into the OBD2 car - since you need to use the engine wiring harness that came on the Del Sol, there may be some wiring changes that need to be made and you may need to use a different distributor that is compatible with the ECU that you are using - not real complicated - more complicated if he is going with a SOHC VTEC engine

that swap is going to be a can of worms...i would run away from it lol

Ok...thanks...so i went to look at his engine...and he has a ZC stamped on the block...DOHC...what ECU would be best for it? Am sure he doesnt have an ECU...the d16y7 tranny bolt on to it? ...how could.i tell if its obd0 or obd1?...man i really appreciate the help

Back