Need help deciding which swap, B18A or H23A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bigblockhatch

:confused: Okay, I'm new to the site so forgive my stupidity. I've been working on cars my whole adult life but just got into hondas :) I need a little... make that a LOT of help deciding which swap is right for me I own a '95 Civic CX Hatch with a recently blown motor. It came with a D15b (y7???) I found a '95 prelude with an H23A and 5-speed. I believe this car is OBD-1 not sure Anyway, Whole Car for $200. I know the engine is good, but car was wrecked in front and robbed for body parts. IS THIS SWAP POSSIBLE? And if so, How much will I spend on swap goodies. I also found a '92 Acura Integra with a B18A and 5- speed. Whole car $300. I know this would make for an easier swap, but I have little faith that the engine wil run as is. PLEASE HELP! I do not know all of the parts I can use for the H swap, but HASPORT has a combo with mounts, axles, and wiring harness for about $1300 on their site. This is a little more than I want to spend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanx

on the h-series motor you'll need a motor mount kit. the b-series you just need to install and hope it runs...why not a VTEC swap. good with that

I would like to do a VTEC swap but I haven't found a VTEC for a price I can live with I'm doing this on a budget of about $2000 I know it will be hard to get it done anyway for that amount According to my limited research so far, I will need a mount kit, axles (maybe from the prelude - not sure), and wiring changes please help if you know more

yea the money thing is hurting you but, the 2 cars you found should be enough...i 'd go with the b18 because you'll spend less making it run if the motor is complete for the price you say

I would like to do a VTEC swap but I haven't found a VTEC for a price I can live with I'm doing this on a budget of about $2000 I know it will be hard to get it done anyway for that amount According to my limited research so far, I will need a mount kit, axles (maybe from the prelude - not sure), and wiring changes please help if you know more
go for a d16z6. they have v-tec and upgrades are cheap. you can get 350 to 400 all day, every day hp out of the block (some things need to be done to do that tho) it will take you 5,000 to 10,000 bucks to get that compared to a b-series or h-series. those engines are expensive to build up ( 10,000 to 15,000 for a decent turbo setup) and it sounds like you want to save some but still get good hp and tq too. I say go for the d-series. but if you're going n/a go for the h-series. thay have shitloads of tq for the size(180 to 200). b-series have shitty tq(110 to 120).:burnout:that and the v-tec in an h22 hits harder that hell. feels like a shot of juice to the front tires in a lighter car.

Last edited:
Thanx for the info. I want to build about a 12 sec car. nothing fancy, just fast and reliable I think I have decided to go BIG

Does anyone know what wiring/ECU mods I might need to do, Remember, I have the Prelude that the engine and trans came out of for parts

Back