Need help!!!! Obd1to obd2b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B18cEK

I have a 1999 honda civic but an obd1 gsr motor. I would like to pass emissions. Is there a way to convert the motor to obd2b through new wire harness, ecu, sensors??? I alredy have obd2 Distributor,alternator, i need fuel injectors but is there anything else i need. Please if anyone can help, this is my last option before starting over with my swap :worthy:

where do you live? some states like pay all they care about is the emission part of the obd2 so if you hook up a obd2 p72 and you hook up a second o2 sensor you are good to go but i have heard of some people buying the sensors they are missing and adding them on to the engine but that is a pain in tha @$$

Originally posted by civiclxb16@Apr 14 2005, 02:14 AM
where do you live? some states like pay all they care about is the emission part of the obd2 so if you hook up a obd2 p72 and you hook up a second o2 sensor you are good to go but i have heard of some people buying the sensors they are missing and adding them on to the engine but that is a pain in tha @$$
[post=486943]Quoted post[/post]​

I live in NC, I already have the 2nd o2 sensor.
Do you have any idea exactly what other sensors are diferrent??

Originally posted by B18cEK@Apr 14 2005, 01:59 AM
I have a 1999 honda civic but an obd1 gsr motor. I would like to pass emissions. Is there a way to convert the motor to obd2b through new wire harness, ecu, sensors??? I alredy have obd2 Distributor,alternator, i need fuel injectors but is there anything else i need. Please if anyone can help, this is my last option before starting over with my swap :worthy:
[post=486940]Quoted post[/post]​

Before I answer this question what model car do you own ex,lx,dx and what dizzy did you get a obd2a or obd2b.....

Originally posted by foc-us2k+Apr 14 2005, 03:50 PM-->
@Apr 14 2005, 01:59 AM
I have a 1999 honda civic but an obd1 gsr motor. I would like to pass emissions. Is there a way to convert the motor to obd2b through new wire harness, ecu, sensors??? I alredy have obd2 Distributor,alternator, i need fuel injectors but is there anything else i need. Please if anyone can help, this is my last option before starting over with my swap  :worthy:
[post=486940]Quoted post[/post]​

Before I answer this question what model car do you own ex,lx,dx and what dizzy did you get a obd2a or obd2b.....
[post=487149]Quoted post[/post]​

It's an EX. I'm not exactly sure what dist. I have. The shop that did my swap bought it and put it on. It had 97-00 type R on it but i'm not sure if thats civic or integra. So I guess it's obd2a but not sure

It doesn't matter what car it's from CTR/ITR are the same. Pretty much as long as you're running the right ECU, and have the sensors hooked up, you'll be good. There really isn't a way for anyone to tell if the say MAP sensor is from a 97 or a 99.

there is a why to tell the diffrence in the plugs if thats what your talking about. OBD2a is some what diffrent from OBD2b but i know what he needs exactly you said that you have a OBD 1 motor and wanna put it in your OBD2b car well you have a choice you can get a engine harness adaptor or get a 99 GSR ECU. i would go with a ecu change becuse those connversion harness are for off road use only what I have found out is you can change a obd1 motor to a obd2 motor. Luckily HONDA made a 99 GSR hahaha so your lucky you can do it it just takes the right parts. Im geussin you dont have the motor in well this is what you need to do with it out of the car. Your gonna need to pull of the oil pan but wait till you get these parts. Youll need a 99 GSR oil pump about a 100$ from the dealer might aswell go with new parts while your at it. 99 GSR crank angle sensor 133$. 99 GSR timing gear. 99 GSR timing belt cover for the botom. your gonna have to change the Intake Manifold becuse if the Intake air bypass (IAB) I would go with 99 type R or after market that cancels out the (IAB). other then that your gonna need a 99 GSR altonator, dizzy, and vetc plugs your gonna have to change the parts over from obd1 to obd2b plug. The lucky thing is you have a 99 civic EX. remeber that EX are the lucky ones manly a plug and play afair. If you can get a 99 type R ecu will cancel out the sensors you dont need. The mounts youll need will be from a 99 civic si youll need the rear trans bracket the L shaped one 50$ and also the bracket that goes on the block where the timing belt side. got two studs sticking out youll need the bracket not the studs its 70$ then youll just use your mounts from the car. Ill get pics and show you what im talking about. also did you get a complete motor shift linkage, axles,and etc?? I got tons of info if you need it.

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@Apr 16 2005, 08:17 AM
there is a why to tell the diffrence in the plugs if thats what your talking about. OBD2a is some what diffrent from OBD2b but i know what he needs exactly you said that you have a OBD 1 motor and wanna put it in your OBD2b car well you have a choice you can get a engine harness adaptor or get a 99 GSR ECU. i would go with a ecu change becuse those connversion harness are for off road use only what I have found out is you can change a obd1 motor to a obd2 motor. Luckily HONDA made a 99 GSR hahaha so your lucky you can do it it just takes the right parts. Im geussin you dont have the motor in well this is what you need to do with it out of the car. Your gonna need to pull of the oil pan but wait till you get these parts. Youll need a 99 GSR oil pump about a 100$ from the dealer might aswell go with new parts while your at it. 99 GSR crank angle sensor 133$. 99 GSR timing gear. 99 GSR timing belt cover for the botom. your gonna have to change the Intake Manifold becuse if the Intake air bypass (IAB) I would go with 99 type R or after market that cancels out the (IAB). other then that your gonna need a 99 GSR altonator, dizzy, and vetc plugs your gonna have to change the parts over from obd1 to obd2b plug. The lucky thing is you have a 99 civic EX. remeber that EX are the lucky ones manly a plug and play afair. If you can get a 99 type R ecu will cancel out the sensors you dont need. The mounts youll need will be from a 99 civic si youll need the rear trans bracket the L shaped one 50$ and also the bracket that goes on the block where the timing belt side. got two studs sticking out youll need the bracket not the studs its 70$ then youll just use your mounts from the car. Ill get pics and show you what im talking about. also did you get a complete motor shift linkage, axles,and etc?? I got tons of info if you need it.
[post=487769]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah its a full swap. Its already in the car and running. I'm gonna take it out to do all the work. I just needed to find out exactly what I need to change to make all the obd2b stuff work with no check engine and pass inspection. Is that everything in your last post??

Well there is a lot more that needs to be done. I got full info. You have a EX civic so your lucky becuse everthing in the car is already there evap emmisions bypass solinod along with the fuel tank pressure sensor and the secondary o2 sensor is allready run through the floor so you dont have anything to do there it will basicly be a plug and play afair. Are you converting from a auto to manual??? if not then your all good. when getting the 99 ecu you choose your gonna have to get the emobilizer removed from it. its a theft divice in the ecu. the car might not run the same though. If I was you I would go with the Type R B18c ecu Youll have to change the Intake manifold I would go with a B18c jdm. gonna have to be from a 99-01 though becuse the plugs are diffrent types and yes all the other parts are the parts youll need your gonna have to put the oil pump, crank sensor, timing gear, cover youll need this to pass emissions. Just change all your engine componets to a 99-01 GSR parts. like dizzy,altonator,power stering pump,use your ps hose just change the pump. and your all good as far as the motor wise. If you want you can use a 96-98 B18c ecu dosent have the emobilizer. just gonna have to change the plugs into the ecu to a 96-98 civic plugs I got a set if you need them if you wanted to do It this way. just give me a price. hope this helps

thanks steve

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@Apr 17 2005, 08:51 AM
Well there is a lot more that needs to be done. I got full info. You have a EX civic so your lucky becuse everthing in the car is already there evap emmisions bypass solinod along with the fuel tank pressure sensor and the secondary o2 sensor is allready run through the floor so you dont have anything to do there it will basicly be a plug and play afair. Are you converting from a auto to manual??? if not then your all good. when getting the 99 ecu you choose your gonna have to get the emobilizer removed from it. its a theft divice in the ecu. the car might not run the same though. If I was you I would go with the Type R B18c ecu Youll have to change the Intake manifold I would go with a B18c jdm. gonna have to be from a 99-01 though becuse the plugs are diffrent types and yes all the other parts are the parts youll need your gonna have to put the oil pump, crank sensor, timing gear, cover youll need this to pass emissions. Just change all your engine componets to a 99-01 GSR parts. like dizzy,altonator,power stering pump,use your ps hose just change the pump. and your all good as far as the motor wise. If you want you can use a 96-98 B18c ecu dosent have the emobilizer. just gonna have to change the plugs into the ecu to a 96-98 civic plugs I got a set if you need them if you wanted to do It this way. just give me a price. hope this helps

thanks steve
[post=487960]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks you have been a great help. I have already Done the auto to manual coversion. does this matter??

Allright to do a auto to manual your gonna have to change the top trans mount to a manual civic if you have no t yet and also get the pedal asembly to and the just disconnect the auto stuff. your gonna have to wire in a back up light though becuse the wire is put to the shifter and not to the trans the color for them is yellow and green witha black strip just gonna have to wire them out to the back up light switch on the front of the trans. and you should have holes for the shifter to bolt up to becuse hoda made automatic cars witha way to swap out auto to manual just look under your dash and see if you have a hole for the clutch asembly and allso where the shift linkage goes. manuals are a hell of alot better then autos becuse you have more control of what your doing. hope this helps

ya boy steveo

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@Apr 18 2005, 06:21 PM
Allright to do a auto to manual your gonna have to change the top trans mount to a manual civic if you have no t yet and also get the pedal asembly to and the just disconnect the auto stuff. your gonna have to wire in a back up light though becuse the wire is put to the shifter and not to the trans the color for them is yellow and green witha black strip just gonna have to wire them out to the back up light switch on the front of the trans. and you should have holes for the shifter to bolt up to becuse hoda made automatic cars witha way to swap out auto to manual just look under your dash and see if you have a hole for the clutch asembly and allso where the shift linkage goes. manuals are a hell of alot better then autos becuse you have more control of what your doing. hope this helps

ya boy steveo
[post=488439]Quoted post[/post]​

I have already converted to manual. Just need to know exactly what I need to do to the motor.

Give me a list of what you need to know and Ill help you out the bets I can.

ya boy steveo

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@Apr 20 2005, 12:01 AM
Give me a list of what you need to know and Ill help you out the bets I can.

ya boy steveo
[post=488972]Quoted post[/post]​

All I need to know is exactly what sensors and anything else that I need to change to convert my obd1 B18c1 motor to obd2b

the only thing that honda changes was adding a crank sensor and also a secondary O2 sensor OBD1's have only a heated O2 sensor OBD2 has 2 ones primary and the other is secondary but dont worry about this its basicly already don for you. the only thing your gonna need to do is change out the oil pump and suff that i told you. hope this helps

ya boy steveo

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@Apr 23 2005, 09:47 AM
the only thing that honda changes was adding a crank sensor and also a secondary O2 sensor OBD1's have only a heated O2 sensor OBD2 has 2 ones primary and the other is secondary but dont worry about this its basicly already don for you. the only thing your gonna need to do is change out the oil pump and suff that i told you. hope this helps

ya boy steveo
[post=490489]Quoted post[/post]​

Does the year of the harness matter as long as its obd2??

Let me put it this way you need the 99-01 gsr parts becuase 94-95 are OBD1,96-98 are OBD2a,99-01 are OBD2b and these are three diffrent plug types so you need the 99-01 to make it work in your car ok. most of the parts youll need will be 99-01 some of the parts you can get away with. Any thing else??

ya boy steveo

If they date the motor you're screwed anyway. The rep more than likely won't care if you converted everything to OBD IIb because the motor is older than the car, and CARB (becoming the national standard, even if you aren't in Cali) policy is same year or newer.

From those I have talked to, they look at the
ECU
Cat
OEM, or CARB exempt parts
date of motor

I don't know NC laws, but they can not be as strict as Cali, IMO you should get the right ECU, make sure all major parts are good, and go to the station for a test, if you fail, then fix replace as nescessary instead of wasting a lot of time and money on replacing minute parts that don't make a difference.

your not getting it read my other post honda made a 99 GSR right well just get the parts from it and you can run it like a 99 duh. Ive got a 95 ls in my 96 civic ls haha i live in GA and NC can be more worse then GA in emmisions.

just check with the emmisions place your taking it to to see what they check most places just hook it up to the 16 pin connector and check to see if theres any codes they usally dont check all the other crap. id check with them to see what they do

Back