need help on a B18B1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dgie31

I am building a B18B1 and this is my first attempt at it, and do not want to screw it up. I have a few questions and hope someone can help:

Questions:
1. I am reading the service manual and I am trying to install the pistons, reading the section in the manual it states that there is a number on the side of the rod , which is supposed to mean some position on the crank. (3) of my pistons has a "3" stamped on them and one has a "2" . The rod end bearings and crank bearings that I purchased are Rock parts (Think thats right and hope they are good quality) and am simply confused on this whole position thing they are talking about in the manual. What do I do here?

2. The book calls for some liquid sealent for the oil pump and the main seal housing. I was told by a builder to not use a RTV there instead use a schallack, I purchased Indian head schallack is this right? actually I am surprised there is no gasket under these. What do I do here?
user_online.gif

Last edited:
As far as the stamps on the rods they are for bearing sizes not position you use those numbers along with the numbers stamped on the crank to get the correct size bearing. More than likely you got a "one size fits all" bearing set. They are usually the green size because they are the ones that will fit most rods within clearance specs. Some people use them others prefer to use plastigauge to find the correct sizes. Your manual should cover this. This also applies to the crank main bearings. What manual are you using?

The manual says "published by Honda Motor Company" I bought it right after I bought my Integra back in 1997 in the parts dept of Tustin Acura, I have used it extensively, so much pages are falling out. So I have the bearings and I am assuming they are the one size fits all, since there is nothing stamped on any of the bearings. I also can not locate the anything on the crank that specifies any of this also. The bearings are not color coded. What do I do? can I assume that I can put any bearing on any rod end same with the Crank and any piston in any one of the cylinders? Also the one size fits all bearings, are they good or will they wear out faster?

Also any idea about the sealant I need for the bearing housing and the oil pump, Indian head shallack, rtv, or?

I used the shit you can buy at the Honda/Acura dealership.. Can't remember the name of it. Quite spendy though.

Thanks for posting this, I will try to make heads or tails out of it, I am sure it will help a lot on trying to figure this out.

Back