need help with d16y8 swap?!?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

honda91efhatch

91 ef/dx project
:confused: Hey, im lookin into a d16y8 motor. Wat all would i need 2 swap it into a 1991 dx hatchback that has a d15 non-vtec in it now? Ive looked on several threads but most are about a d16z6 swap, and i kno these motors arent exactly the same! I need help?!? parts list? time? money? sources? any thing and everything will help!
Thank you

you would need the engine, wiring harness, and ecu. your tranny will fit. the intake manifold and all accessories should fit as well. I just did this swap myself except I had a d16y7.

can i run my stock ecu or do i need an ecu thats vtec compatable? wat kind of wiring harness do i need? n where can i get it?

you would need the engine, wiring harness, and ecu. your tranny will fit. the intake manifold and all accessories should fit as well. I just did this swap myself except I had a d16y7.

True....i did the same, but im still obd0. you can keep your stock harness, unless you have a dx, then youll need to do the mpfi swap. After that the motor should fit your trans, use your mounts, youll have to modify the timing belt cover a bit, use the clutch for the trans you use which should be a 89-91 si trans, pm6(wont run vtec) ecu or obd1 conversion harness and a p28 to run vtec. If you keep your harness youll have to run the two vtec wires and there you go.

The difference in the 2 obd2's is obd2a(1996-2000), obd2b(2001......)

Last edited:
I don't think he means solder them together but this is where I am lost. I have yet to wire vtec on my swap. so now I get to learn with you. lol

its not ghetto... my buddy had a mini me in his hf crx plus about 3500 into it... but it was beating gsr's all day long.. not stock one either.... but anyways... he wanted to stay obd-0 so he bought a pg7 ecu from the 1st gen integra... they give u about 10hp more.. than ran the vtec off a toggle.... then u could have vtec anytime u want...

damn. I love that idea. you should have him do a write up on it in the tech section. It sounds like something I wanna look into.

yea, sounds simple! do a quick write up, i jus got a d16y8 n wouldnt mine the rumble of a low idel vtec! plus it sounds like a quick fix, dont sound like it requires 2 much kno how either! lets hear how 2 do it?!?!

i wouldnt recomend having the toggle on under 3k rpms... theres not enough oil going threw it yet.. all u do is hook up a toggle from the selnoid and run it into the cab of the car.... takes like... 10 min if u know how too... but first swap your car to mpfi...

alright got it. and I wouldn't wanna run it that low. its more of the fact I could turn it on and off when wanted that is so attractive.

theres 3 wires that come off of the vtec soloniod arnt there? how would u manage that?

Back