Need pros/cons- Phantom Grip

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

Good evening, I'm gathering up parts for a b18/20 swap in my 90 4dr civic and will have to go with the reg cable ls trans for now.
I'm kinda leaning toward the Phantom Grip mostly because of cost. Then later on if I find the right trans I'll go that direction.

SO, what are your thoughts on Phantom-Grip in a LS trans.
I drive mostly Hwy to and from work. 65-80mph
Really looking for good, detailed information.
Thanks. E

Puts a lot of stress on the spiders, and unless you have another tranny laying around I wouldnt use one. For everyday spirited driving I dont see that an LSD is necessary, but if you insist I would just save for and OEM LSD.

hi, i just finished my ls swap in my 90 sedan. used the stock trany, it's great performance is great,i drive 600 miles a week for work and finaly don't mind ,i can pass,get off exits with ease.i used the front sway bar off the integra and will soon do a rear brake swap w/ the rear sway bar.i also used the front knuckles and bakes off the integra as well. still using the civic exhaust but will change that when i can. have fun i know i do.

hes talking about an lsd not just a trans lol
and im with byron get an oem lsd..phantom and quaife all those put alot of stress on the gears

Thanks for your input 90civ, I've already done the teg brake parts except the m/c and booster. I just want a quick little 4dr that I can suprise goobers around here. (probably the worst drivers i've EVER SEEN. When I got down here in 86, the local DMV/county clerk asked me "you need it READ to you"? of the drivers test..
I headed on Ebay last night after posting and went a lookin for steeper final drives.. Dang, I might as well just get a GSR trans.. I think $5-$600+ is pretty steep for a ring and pinion!

Phantom=poop.. Thanks guys,

Now, what's a fair price for a GSR/type R trans.

E

mpg

hi , I tested my first 2 tanks and got 34 mpg. if i keep my foot off the pedal.but also doing 70 on the hywy. i drive 60 each way for work. my only major problem i had was that i put my cas wires in the wrong place and the car ran rough.it's mush faster.this was my first swap but not my last. i would like to do a hswap in my next civic.

how does a quaife put stress on the gears its a totaly new diff and would rather have one of the then a oem lsd any day carbonetic diffs are nice also

Back